Perfect day...

Automan2164

Well, with the temp being a cool 75 degrees and sunny, it was grill time. So I whipped up something for myself, the GF, and her older brother. Nothing special, but I thought I would share:

Soaked a bag of Chicken tenderloins in Italian dressing, tossed on the grill.

294680_241308839239944_100000824882082_624934_5507663_n.jpg

I've been hearing about this super sweet, ultra tender, bi-color sweet corn, so I had to try it. Supposedly, its so tender they can't pick it with a machine. People actually have it shipped to them too... Never tried it, and its a local farm. Today was the day. I let it roast while I did my burgers.

305921_241309052573256_100000824882082_624936_5374335_n.jpg

Time for the corn.

299464_241316179239210_100000824882082_624948_5383120_n.jpg

Always have to toss on some grilled red onion... Mmm.

311875_241318242572337_100000824882082_624950_5907363_n.jpg

Mess hall.

317475_241318705905624_100000824882082_624952_3775904_n.jpg

First plate, Bush's beans, Bacon ranch pasta salad, a seasoned burger, and a Jalapeno burger on lightly toasted italian.

317829_241320749238753_100000824882082_624956_1712371_n.jpg

314087_241320942572067_100000824882082_624957_498537_n.jpg

Corn time! Don't forget the butter!

298258_241325652571596_100000824882082_624962_7644753_n.jpg

All in all, I am stuffed. The corn was very sweet, and super tender... I had a raw ear while I was cooking, and that was good too. Now we are all sitting around making groaning noises on the couch. I can't wait to put the grilled chicken to use this week in my broccoli chicken alfredo pasta... :drool: I should have plenty of left overs for lunch this week.

Oh yeah, plenty of beer was consumed in the making of this post.

Rob :cheers:

My parents have been running a family-owned produce stand for the last 15 years. It has been featured in the New York Times as "The King of Corn" and I've done my fair share of picking over the last decade. Truth be told, I'm a bit of a corn snob now and when I go down to visit people in other states, I will usually pass over the heaping mound of sweet corn because I know it's either yellow and/or bi-color and it wasn't cooked right. Any sweet corn isn't white and is picked by a machine isn't worth eating, in my opinion. Sweet corn picking machines pick EVERY ear and if the farmer isn't diligent in sorting out the corn after he gets it off the wagon, you'll wind up with ears that are too young, too old, or too small. On my parents farm, it's our policy that we only pick the TOP ear on each stalk (each stalk of corn generally produces two ears) as my father has said that the plant produces that one first and they get more flavor. Could be rubbish, but he's been in business for over 15 years and has those "crazies" who pay to get our corn put on dry ice and shipped to each corner of the country.

And now you know more than you ever wanted about sweet corn.

I don't care for sweet corn at all. It's too mushy, too soft, and too sweet. I like fully matured all yellow mealy corn with big kernels roasted in the shell slowly until just slightly burnt, then opened up and rolled in melted butter w. a dash of lemon juice and plenty of salt. Much better flavor for moi. :cheers: Guess that's what I get for growing up on a dairy farm and eating what we called "cow corn" as a kid. Still tastes the best.

Although I'm absolutely positive I would pig out at your place Rob. :cheers:

...And now you know more than you ever wanted about sweet corn.

Yeah. I am an entry level corn guy. All I know is that I like it. I'll eat anything you put in front of me. Here is the farm I got this stuff from today:

http://www.twingardenfarms.com

tip, right before the burger is about to be done, put the cheese on! itll be melted on the burger and will taste way better than a cold piece of cheese thrown on at the last minute.

I would have, but I put them all in the same dish as I scoop them out. I've found that if I cheese them all up, I end up with some no cheese, and some doubled when they get to the counter...

Rob

I don't care for sweet corn at all. It's too mushy, too soft, and too sweet. I like fully matured all yellow mealy corn with big kernels roasted in the shell slowly until just slightly burnt, then opened up and rolled in melted butter w. a dash of lemon juice and plenty of salt. Much better flavor for moi. :cheers: Guess that's what I get for growing up on a dairy farm and eating what we called "cow corn" as a kid. Still tastes the best.

Although I'm absolutely positive I would pig out at your place Rob. :cheers:

That seems to be how the "suthners" cook it. Not for me. Steamed for five minutes so it's still somewhat crisp and has the delicious flavor. Cooked too long and it just tastes like starch - which is why you need to lather it up in butter and all of those other condiments to get it to taste right. I usually just roll it once in butter and that's all you need.

Cow corn, field corn - same thing. Although strange that you ate it. It's designed to be ground up for grain and even when the kernels are still soft, it tastes pretty awful :D

That seems to be how the "suthners" cook it. Although strange that you ate it. It's designed to be ground up for grain and even when the kernels are still soft, it tastes pretty awful :D

Not worth a reply except: :hmm: :shake: :nuts: :rotfl2:

Sounds/looks like a good meal Rob!

But I have to ask. Do you only experiment on your grill when its nice out!?!? Some of my best smoked BBQ has come from 105 degree, miserable days. I just can't seem to get it the same during a bout of nice weather.

tip, right before the burger is about to be done, put the cheese on! itll be melted on the burger and will taste way better than a cold piece of cheese thrown on at the last minute.

I would have, but I put them all in the same dish as I scoop them out. I've found that if I cheese them all up, I end up with some no cheese, and some doubled when they get to the counter...

Rob

thats why you don't stack em man! ill use several plates if i have to. or since everyone is gathering like vultures anyway, just go straight from the grill to the bun :thumbsup:

you can grill though, so you get the props :chillin:

Just take a walk out into any cow-corn field and look for a ear where the tassel is more brown than yellow and pick it. Remove the shucks and the (unless you're from New Joisee) worm at the top end. Now take a bite, No salt, No butter, just natures own natural flavor. Every bit as soft and tasty as any sissy-fied sweet stuff. Ever notice how country boys are usually bigger, stronger, better looking and smarter than city boys? Goes for country girls too. :D :chillin: :popcorn:

Tassel is what's on top of the stalk. You're talking about the silk. I've probably picked close to half a million ears of sweet corn in my lifetime. Regardless, you guys are really missing out if you truly believe that cow corn has good flavor LOL

I might be from NJ, but I ain't no city boy. Last time I looked out my window, I couldn't see my neighbors:

Unfortunately, it looks a little ragged due to the hurricane knocking down most of the sweet corn.

Nah, only two months of drought. And then two weeks of rain. Then a hurricane.

It's not fun picking when it's flat on the ground like that. But this is pretty much what the field looked like after Isabel in 2003 and we still managed to have uninterrupted sweet corn until Halloween. Picking it off the ground just means you double up on your dose of Advil for the day :D

Naw. I'll stick to cow corn. It hangs through most any weather with a decent harvest and is always good. Strange and weird you don't realize that. Most folks do.

That's true - cow corn has a much better root system and also has a much thicker stalk since it's also used for silage. More surface area = more silage, which means the farmer doesn't have to plant as much to fill the silos for the winter. In fact, after Irene passed over the cow corn on the farm is still standing tall, while most of the sweet corn is flat on the ground. The problem is that they've genetically altered the sweet corn to grow bigger and fatter ears, which ultimately means they're heavier, but they haven't really taken a good look at improving the root system and stalk thickness, so it tends to blow right over when there is a decent wind.

But as for eating it - I wouldn't. But I'm young, dumb, and naive with zero appreciation for how anyone else does anything that may be different from the way I do it.

But as for eating it - I wouldn't. But I'm young, dumb, and naive with zero appreciation for how anyone else does anything that may be different from the way I do it.

:agree: Young, naive, but not dumb. Sweet corn is a relative newcomer hybrid that comes in many varieties. All hybrids are vulnerable to changes in the norm and are do not tolerate change well from their programmed ideal conditions. Cow corn, native maize, survivor corn, whatever you call it is a native American crop and survives throughout most all extreme adverse conditions. It's fed and nourished both humans and our domesticated animals for centuries and w/o it the designer corns you like wouldn't have happened.

I appreciate the proven olde school in all things, especially MJs.