dying aw4

i think my 186k mile aw4 is dying.in the morning it shifts perfect.when it warms up it progressivley takes longer and longer to shift each gear until it quits shifting.it doesn't slip and always goes in gear,just doesn't want to shift.i tried a fluid to change but it didn't help(didn't figure it would but i tried anyway).after you let it cool off it 'll shift again for while.you can't manuallly shift it when it does this anf both tcu fuses are good and i even swapped the tcu out for another but it does the same thing.i don't want to try a used tranny as most in our local yards have as many miles as mine.any suggestions as where to get a new one?i checked at team cherokee and they have ones for the 91 up xj for 1425 plus shipping.

There are 3 solenoids in the AW4. Check OMH's on them, they should be in 11 - 15 ohm range to be good. Any less or more than that they are probally bad. However it is unusual for all three t0 go out at the same time. You can check them by unpluging the TCU and with the key OFF use a circuit tester. Ground tester in slot D7. Insert positive end in C 14 (Converter Clutch Solenoid), C 15 (Shift Sol 2 which is 3rd gear), and C 16 (Shift Sol 1 which is 1st & 2nd gear). Jusst another step you use in searching for problems.

i unplugged my tcu and i can manually shift it fine.i'm going to check the ohms on my solenoids today after work.at least i know my tranny itself is good which is a big relief.still seems funny when it's cold it'll shift fine until it warms up but i'm checking the solenoids today.

checked ohms today.shift solenoids 1 &2 are both 18 ohms and the converter clutch solenoid is 33 ohms,ouch.i haven't felt the converter lock up in years and that may be why.may also contribute to 15 mpg on the highway.anyway i ordered a complete set of solenoids new from tranmissionpartsusa for $158 shipped.i checked mopar and the 1 and 2 solenoids were $135 apiece and the converter lock solenoid was $240 so i went another route.i'll manually shift it until they come in.it worked fine today manually shifting it.thanks for the help so far.

i replaced all 3 solenoids and they read the same as the old solenoids.it still doesn't shift unless i unplug the tcu and manually shift it.i'm now wondering if the used tcu i tried is good and i may try to find another used one.i think it only fits up to 90 as i i found another used one out of a 91 and it wouldn't plug up.

i got my scanner from the shop and it only shows .37 volts at the tps and it only moves to .39.i think the less than 1 year old tps from mopar is going bad.they sais something about not warrantying it when i bought it because of it being considered a vintage part.i wish i could adapt a new ho tps to the renix wiring because i've already got a ho throttle body.

i replaced the tps and it registers correct voltage and idles good again but still no shift.i'm wondering if my new shift solenoids are any good or the used tcu i tried was any good.before it wouldn't come out of first unless i unplugged the tcu(which i think was from the bad tps.i unplugged the tcu so i could manually shift it.i replaced the solenoids and i plugged up the tcu and it wouldn't move unless i put it in 1-2 gear.it never did this until i relaced the solenoids.i wish i had checked tps voltage first but i didn't.i'm going to stick the old solenoids back in wednesday and try again.