SOA conversion issues

I'm in the middle of a SOA conversion and I ran into a issue. I am replacing the axle (d35 with Chrysler 8.25) and I realized the u bolts for the springs are too small for the 8.25. this would mean the shock mounts are also wrong. my questions are:

the shock mounts on the axle itself (axle came from a 2000 cherokee) are one front one rear. I cannot remember if the shock mounts are like this on the stock comanche (arent they all supposed to be?)

Assuming my brother can dig up the u-bolts and backplate (correct term?) from the cherokee, can I use the shock mounts on the chrysler axle? (comanche had them on the back plate of the u-bolt shackle)

U bolts shouldn't be reused anyway. You're not using the Cherokee perches in their stock location are you? 'cause they are not spaced apart the correct distance.

I used spring perches and shock mounts I got from Ruffstuff Specialties.

No an XJ axle is NOT a direct bolt in. You going to have to remove the perches and have new ones welded on. Also your MJ is SUA not SOA so by doing an SOA you will lift the truck 5 or so inches in the back. Some one who has done an SOA on there MJ will chime in and give you a step by step to finish what you started :thumbsup:

Brandon

what I have done so far is:

remove both front and rear axles

removed leafs from stock axle.

reversed leaf retaining bolt (aligns leafs into perch as well)

looks like I am going to have to upgrade to a better welder, I have too many welding projects.

how should I measure the distance for the perches?

Measure the distance between the original MJ perches. Then when you weld new ones onto the 8.25" make sure the distance between each perch and brake backing plate is the same so they are centered.

Chrysler 8.25" has 3" tubes.

Also leaf retaining bolt/center pin should also not be reused.

Cool... where (online) can I buy the center pins. I was going to use a bolt and then round the head so it fits in the perch, but I know that's not the correct way.

I'm going to throw the front axle from the cherokee on... does this require modification?

Also going to throw my stock rear on until I can get the new axle welded up.

Another question... how much does it cost to have a driveshaft built (I can't find anyone selling one)

I have found that the correct size center pins for Comanche springs have heads that are too large for the perches, so the heads still need ground down.

I get them locally at a spring shop. Imagine Fastenall would have them. I know Summit Racing does.

Another option is to use an Allen bolt. They have a round head.