Piston Skirt.... how much work to replace or....?

Your also going to have to splice the fuel lines or run new ones. Me and WBKrazy did this swap last year on his truck along with a 4WD conversion. You are gonna be MUCH better off getting a complete donor for this swap.

as many others have said- Your engine is now considered to be a nice paper weight (Its shot!) if it was a diesel I would have said rebuild it, but its not worth rebuilding. I'm sure you would need a new block and all new components. My personal opinion would be to find a 2.5L engine and swap what you have for the same engine. That, in my eyes would be the least amount of work. a 4.0 Swap will shut you down for a good chunk of time, and have a lot of random costs associated with it (random tubing, wires, mounts, etc.) and very likely will not end up as clean looking as just staying with the engine it was built with. If you have your heart set on swapping a 4.0, be ready to spend alot of time on it, and for sure buy an xj donor, not just an engine and tranny. You will find your self digging through that xj alot for random pieces. Hopefully this helps with your decision, and best of luck to you!

4.0 swaps take 3 weekends.

one to strip and label the parts truck

one to strip the truck getting the swap, and get the "new" wiring in place

one to button it up and pop the motor in

that's if you're taking it fairly easy and have an experienced hand. I do them in a weekend, with all parts prepped and accounted for prior to beginning. definitely not the hardest thing on earth...but, I've stripped far more xj's and mj's out than any person on any board I'm on (at least, that I know of).

I'm not exactly sure how much its going to be to get a nice 2.5 but I think this weekend I'll make some calls and get an idea of how much its going to be, because (for me) it will take more than a few weekends to put in that 4.0

I guess it's more practical to put the parts search on hold and get the 2.5 asap.