More leaf spring woes

So I finally got the rear axle and springs out as one piece last night. Finally. So I am proceeding with trying to remove the leaf packs from the axle and everything is going smooth until I see the centerpin bolt has a generous helping of rust on it. I carefully gave it a shot of WD40, then try my selection of sockets to find the appropriate one, give it a few minutes to soak, and start on the right side. After realizing I was rounding the bolt instead of actually turning it I stopped.

Which leads me to three related questions:

1- How to remove the nut from the centerpin when I wish to reuse all the parts?

2- Should I decide to cut off the centerpin bolt/nut, what will I have to do to replace the damaged centerpin? [will this require welding and perches?]

3- Should there be a nut there in the first place, or should it all come easily apart when the U-bolts have been removed? [my handy-dandy Haynes manual mentions nothing of a nut/bolt in that location when removing leaf springs].

Please advise, and keep in mind I have no welder.

WD 40 is better than nothing but it's not the best for penetrating rust, Liquid Wrench and some other brands are better. After soaking if it still won't come off try heat. Keep it on the nut and not the bolt. If that don't work hammer and chisel. Cut the nut off the bolt.

If I remember right the bolt has a serrated head. However any bolt, of equlalent strength can be used. No welding, No perches. Be sure and clamp the leafs together, vice or C clamp

The springs are C-clamped together so they don't go a-flyin'.

Looking at the perches, there doesn't appear to be much maneuvering room for a new centerpin, should the original be removed via saw or other means. Is there a trick to getting new ones in, or am I must misunderstanding how they are put together?

Are you trying to take the leaf packs apart? or just remove them from the axle? I didnt think you had to do anything with the center pin just to remove the packs from the axle.

I am not trying to seperate the leafs, only remove the packs. The packs seem attached to the perches [u-bolts and shock mounts have been removed], and they will not seperate even with not-so-gentle persuasion with a hammer.

Everything has been soaking with liberal amounts of WD40 since last night to loosen things up. I will take a closer look at it this evening to reevaluate when it cools off.

ooooohhhhhh... interesting... :hmm:

Interesting indeed. I thought this was going to be relatively simple.

The leaf packs are aftermarket with 5 leafs that I am trying to remove... and eventually put them on my other MJ that currenly has only 3 per pack, so I don't want to tear them up or damage/destroy.

Alright, FINALLY the issue has been resolved. The problem was I wasn't using a big enough hammer. A few good whacks with a two and a half pound sledge and the leafs dropped like flies. Remember to use hearing protection while hitting metal on metal, kiddies.