8.25 Shaft Replacement

My junkyard 8.25 has a very very slightly tweaked drivers side shaft and I am ready to swap in a replacement shaft. Is there anything I need to know about how to do this that could make it go easier. I have never replaced an axle shaft before and don't have a chiltons book that includes 8.25 axles. I am very certain that mine is a 27 spline. Thanks, Brent

Not too difficult. Pull the diff cover and drain the fluid, push in the axleshaft you are replacing from the hub side (it should move in about 1/4"), which will expose the C clip (you might have to spin the shaft around a bit to access the back side of the clip). Pull the clip out with a pair of needlenose pliers, and pull the axleshaft out of the housing. While you have the shaft out, do not spin the carrier, or else the spider gears will fall out and you'll have to put them back in. Slide the new shaft in carefully, so you don't rip the seal in the tube, until it seats fully. Reinstall C clip, replace cover and refill with new lube.

HTH,

Jeff

You will need to remove the bolt holding the spidergear pinion shaft in. It is either 1/4 or 5/16 , possibly 12 pt. It helps if you have a friend over. Have the pinion gear shaft positioned so that it is at an angle and will slide out of the carrier (like 2:00/8:00 position). Let the pinion shaft slide out far enough to allow the axle shaft to move in and liberate the C clip, but not enough to come out of the lower pinion gear. This will keep the side gears from rotating and the pinion gears from falling out. Have your friend remove the shaft and either install the new one, or slide the pinion shaft back in place and slip the retaining pin in while you check the condition of the axle bearing and seal.

When I was 16 or 17 I had to pull the axle shaft out of my mom's Delta 88 to change a seal. Someone at the shop ( it was at an auto shop at an army base) told me to just force the C clip off. Fortunately there was a Chiltons there so I just looked it up. Hadn't thought about that experience in almost 30 years until this post :D

Well at my base one of our vehicle mechanics that has been in for over 14 years as a vehicle mechanic on base called me cause he couldnt find the c-clips on the front axle in his TJ and needed me to show him. This was after I had put a locker in for him and and showed him the removal process. :oops: I don't know what the deal was with him but he calls for me to help him all the time i don't understand why a mechanic thats been doing that kind of stuff for years can't comprehend the jeep world. And they say the AF is the smartest branch :roll:

Just thought Id share a funny story.

Cole