What is this?

Its located behind my front bumper on passenger side on my '86 2.5L. Looks like it was damaged in a deer collision many years ago, but not sure how to replace it without knowing what's its called. It has 8953003052 printed on it.

You have cruise control???

That is the 'football' for cruise control models. There is another one that is round, about the size of a softball that will work for no cruise models.

• 5 months later...

I started this thread many months ago, picked up a new canister from the junkyard, but still can't figure out what it is for. Sounds like from the above post that one side is used for cruise control, which I do not have. What is the other side used for? What do I plug it into? I have the larger rubber vacuum line plugged in, but where does the smaller plastic line (seen in the picture) coming out of it go to?

I should have reread that post before asking.

"The football in the bumper is your vacuum resevoir,it has a check valve in it,when you accelerate your engine vacuum goes to o,the check valve will keep you from loosing vacuum to your climate controller and cruise control,without it you would loose airflow to your vents,heater,etc everytime you step on the gas.

And it will effect your 4wheel drive the same way."

I still need to figure out how to get it to the climate controller. No cruise, No 4wd.

That is the 'football' for cruise control models. There is another one that is round, about the size of a softball that will work for no cruise models.

My Blue 88 MJ has that "Football" canister. its a 5 speed with no cruse control.

Do you have vacuum lines only going into one side of the canister?

My Blue 88 MJ has that "Football" canister. its a 5 speed with no cruse control.

Do you have vacuum lines only going into one side of the canister?

IIRC only had lines on one side... i am on my to Auburn today so i won't be able to double check till Monday

It also has vacuum for the heat. Without it you should only have heat coming from the defrost vents.

That is the case with mine, heat only from the defrost. Just need to figure out where to plug the vacuum line in. I can't find any open ports in the firewall.