vent windows

I have had almost a dozen comanche and five XJ and never had them plus all of the ones up and down the roads and never saw any, not in the state of Florida.

I just bought a set. Can't wait until they get here.

Those windows are everywhere I look around San Diego. Be sure the weather stripping is in excellent condition or you will notice a lot of air noise when driving and water leaks when it rains (or washed). I actually replaced mine with fixed wing windows because of the aforementioned issues. Good luck with the swap.

• 2 weeks later...

Are you sure you want them?? My truck has them, the PO siliconed them shut.

I spent a great deal of time and aggravation disassembling the door to rebuild

them, including the very expensive and very hard to install rubber seal, Plus

rebuilding the little latch mechanism. The threaded stud can easily break off

the lower channel, and the lower channel will easily rust. No matter how good

you make them, they will probably whistle and leak.

Well, I bought a set from a member on this site. I had them installed in less then 30 minutes. I think they are great. But I grew up with these in the trucks & cars that I had back in the old days. I'm from the old school where trucks had vent windows and sliding rear window and window cranks. I can relate to your trouble with them, it would not be so bad if we could order up replacement parts for these trucks at a price we could afford.

• 4 weeks later...

It is impossible to make them not leak, short of sealing them with silicone. I paid EXTRA to get them when I bought my '88 Cherokee new. The vents leaked from the day I took delivery. The factory service rep cheerfully informed me that the factory had a fix.

"And what might that be?"

"We take them out and replace them with fixed glass," he said.

I can't reproduce what I told him because this is a family-friendly site.

The problem is not deterioration. The problem is that the gasket was not molded with a step at the point where the bottom track stops and it transitions to just glass. There will always be a little gap there, and that's where the water gets in.

Silicone is your friend.

Well, I have had mine in now for awhile and still not had drop come in. I live in Florida on the West coast [ about 1 mile from the Gulf], and we have had some pretty mean rain storms come in. Maybe I just got lucky on these, the rubber looked like new when I received them. I open and close them three or four times a day. The only problem I have now is with the snorkle I installed, with snorkle on it blocks the wind coming in the side vent [driver side only]. I run down the road with both of them open. I have not notice any gap/crack anywhere on the vent windows. The main problem in the past with all vent windows from VW bugs, chevy and ford trucks & cars is the pivot point at the top of the glass, they wear out and you have to drill and use a bolt and nut to tighten them up, since they are riveted on.