xj axle in a zj

There is no real difference between an XJ and a ZJ front axle. If the "shimmy" is REAL bad and he has to come to a stop to stop it, it sounds like death wobble to me.

Could be all of the above mentioned and also play in (bad) unit bearings or worn bushings in the control arms. But the first thing I would check is the track bar and the frame end bracket for the track bar.

There is no real difference between an XJ and a ZJ front axle.

Well ... except that an XJ/MJ D30 is a high pinion and a ZJ is a low pinion. Which really means that an XJ axle should work better in a ZJ than a ZJ axle ...

If the "shimmy" is REAL bad and he has to come to a stop to stop it, it sounds like death wobble to me.

Agreed.

i tighted the control arm frame mount and one bolt was hand tight and the other one barley to any pressure for it toiloosen so i tightend them up and went and hit a speed bump at about 60. And had no death wobble so do you think its fixed? i wanna take it on the highway ,But i havent gotten it registerd yet and i don't wanna pay the money yet if its not fixed.

also when i turn theres a clunking noise what could that be?

If this is what I think it is, its a click only when turning one way, and it only comes back when turning the other way... This drove me crazy for a week, I thought it had to be the track bar, but everything was high and tight.

Turned out to be the sway bar link. ZJ's have a cup/ball link, and if it wears out, it can click in and out of the socket. Turn left and it would click out, not making a sound until I turned right and clicked back in... Until it finally let loose.

So I just bent it out of the way, and will change it next oil change.

Rob :cheers: