High capacity oil filter for RENIX

I was a bit disappointed that I couldn't run the 51515 high capacity filter on the RENIX, so while I was at work the other day, I did a little research and found a deep capacity oil filter that would work with the RENIX motors without any modification.

The system shows the stock replacement being a Wix 51626 filter, after doing a little digging around in the Wix books, and web site, we came up with the 51182 being a suitable replacement. As an added bonus, the 51182 has a 24 psi by-pass setting VS 8-11 psi for the 51626.

It was meant to be....

Unfortunately, it isn't going to be nearly as redly available as the Wix 51515 or the FL1A, since it came on the 84-90 Peugeot 505 and 603. But since I work at a parts store, and we have a warehouse on the other side of town, we get deliveries 6 times a day, and can have parts in as little as an hour, it's not a big deal to me.

Wix Part Number: 51182

UPC Number: 765809511828

Principal Application: Peugeot Turbo Diesel (82-89), Cat Forklifts, Hyster, Kioti, JCB

All Applications

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter

Service: Lube

Type: Full Flow

Media: Paper

Height: 5.207

Outer Diameter Top: 3.660

Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed

Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 24

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Burst Pressure-PSI: 350

Max Flow Rate: 7-9 GPM

Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

Wix Part Number: 51626

UPC Number: 765809516267

Principal Application: Dodge Monaco (91), Eagle (88-92), Jeep (87-93)

All Applications

Style: Spin-On Lube Filter

Service: Lube

Type: Full Flow

Media: Paper

Height: 3.812

Outer Diameter Top: 3.663

Outer Diameter Bottom: Closed

Thread Size: 20X1.5 MM

By-Pass Valve Setting-PSI: 8-11

Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes

Burst Pressure-PSI: 370

Max Flow Rate: 9-11 GPM

Nominal Micron Rating: 21

Gasket Diameters

Number O.D. I.D. Thk.

Attached 2.834 2.462 0.200

other than height the only other dimension difference is the outer diameter 3.660 vs 3.663

why does it say mj on the inside :dunno:

I think it was just a coincidence that it said MJ, and it was going on an MJ, unless someone at WIX has a soft spot for us. Actually a lot of spin on filters I have seen generally have something stamped on the threaded section, little things like that makes it easier for me to show customers similarities between filters. Example: The WIX 51085 and the 51515, I have talked several of the Jeep guys with the 4.0 into the 51515 filters. Same goes with the customers that still swear by Fram, I can't seem to talk them out of them so I show them the bottoms of our house brand Microguard, that are made by Fram, at least I can help them save money on a crappy filter.

Show them the cardboard anti-drainback valve. That is usually all it takes. Even the biggest Fram Fan Boi has a real hard time justifying that.

Off-hand... do you know the output capacity of a 4.0l oil pump? That over sized filter has a smaller GPM capacity.

Show them the cardboard anti-drainback valve. That is usually all it takes. Even the biggest Fram Fan Boi has a real hard time justifying that.

You'd be surprised. One slow night at work I decided to cut open a few oil filters to see how they compared, picked a typical late model small block Chevy filter, and then picked out a Fram, AC Delco, Mobil 1, and Wix. Fram was by far the lowest quality of them. A few days later a guy come in looking to do an oil change, and we showed him the filters we cut apart, he still left with a Fram filter, just couldn't convince him, even with it right in front of him.

Off-hand... do you know the output capacity of a 4.0l oil pump? That over sized filter has a smaller GPM capacity.

After a little searching I found this on Bob Is The Oil Guy:

My HV oil pump on my 4.0 is rated @ 9 gpm at something like 3500 rpm. I think the OEM is 5gpm+/-.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ub ... ber=993402

What are the actual benefits of running a high capacity oil filter? More oil in the system? Greater dirt holding capacity? Seems with regular oil change intervals a bigger filter is not necessary. :dunno:

What are the actual benefits of running a high capacity oil filter? More oil in the system? Greater dirt holding capacity? Seems with regular oil change intervals a bigger filter is not necessary. :dunno:

Mainly is for more filter to clean the oil. Unless you're doing a lot of heavy towing or wheeling, the regular filter is usually fine for you.

To the OP, a bunch of us when I was in tech school decided to do oil changes and cut the outside of the filters off just to see how dirty it was. After seeing a Fram vs Wix (I was running the Wix), I swore against Fram and have never bought or installed a Fram filter since then.