Quick Disconnect Connectors

After having to remove a radiator for the 5th time in as many weeks from a '94 and '96ZJ and a '98 WJ, I'm curious as to how others do it. What do you do about the disconnect fittings for the transmission cooling lines going to the radiator, with and without the auxiliary cooling rad? I have disconnected the fitting, used a open end wrench and removed the fitting from the rad tank, and just cut the rubber hose and spliced it back together again. How do you do it? :wrench:

I don't understand what you are asking Jim. When changing out a radiator you disconnect the supply and return tranny lines using the collar tool, unscrew the upper and lower fitting adapters and screw them onto the new rad, then plug the q-disco fittings back on the new radiator. Why are you cutting hoses?

Sounds to me like you don't have the quick disconnect removal tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-fu ... 96834.html

Got all them, plastic and metal. They worked great on all the other fittings I used them on but there was just this one, the lower hose on a '94WJ that refused to separate, no matter what tool or method was tried. After 2 hours gave way to frustration and cut the hose.

sometimes they work perfectly, other times they are really stubborn. I loathe having to the the tranny lines on the XJ radiators.....well, at least the newer ones, the older ones have plastic disconnects, and they always seem to work just fine.

Hmm. I've never come across one THAT stubborn.

Nor have I. Hope I never do. Mine

Sounds to me like you don't have the quick disconnect removal tools:

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-fu ... 96834.html

My plastic q-disco kit is getting a bit chewed up, and I'm going to get some metal ones. This link shows a 4-piece aluminum kit, specs state 1/4" - 3/8". So it has the 1/4", 5/16", and 3/8". What's the 4th size?

1/2"

Although the quality of HF is often questioned (and with good reason), these little specialty tools get the job done just fine. I probably have had these for about 1.5 years and have used them a dozen times or so - still holding up fine. Annodized aluminum seems to be doing well. Only thing I wish they came with was a sturdy carrying case. I left them in the original plastic packaging they came in.

I have about six different sets. Not sure on the exact count because I keep them in a coffee can and they get mixed up. Some broke and got tossed. The best ones seem to be the anodized aluminum ones, one size per tool.

Black=1/4"

Red=5/16"

Gold=3/8"

Teal=1/2"

There are eight pieces in a plastic set covering 1/4 to 7/8".

Then I have 3 aluminum tools pivoted in the middle with one having 6 sizes and the other 2 having 4 sizes each.