Wife's Civic stranded me in Pendleton yesterday.

tbrand

On the way home from the 4th yesterday, the wife's Civic quit on me in Pendleton, OR. 70 mph down the freeway, then the tach just dropped to zero. Put it in neutral, pulled over, and it wouldn't start. It will crank just fine, but it doesn't even sound like it's trying to sputter to life. I've heard ignition coil, distributor, and timing belt as possible causes. I got a ride back home to Boise, but work takes me to Baker City on Thursday/Friday, so that's as good a time as any to work on it.

So,

A)Anyone have any brilliant guesses? It's a 1997 Civic with the 1.6L/auto.

B)Anyone near Pendleton or Baker City, OR and feel like helping wrench this weekend? I'd like to at least figure out what's wrong with it.

Yep, D16, and I believe you're right on the interference bit. That will be the first thing I check when I get to work on it - if the belt broke, no point fussing with the ignition system.

On the way home from the 4th yesterday, the wife's Civic quit on me in Pendleton, OR. 70 mph down the freeway, then the tach just dropped to zero. Put it in neutral, pulled over, and it wouldn't start. It will crank just fine, but it doesn't even sound like it's trying to sputter to life. I've heard ignition coil, distributor, and timing belt as possible causes. I got a ride back home to Boise, but work takes me to Baker City on Thursday/Friday, so that's as good a time as any to work on it.

So,

B)Anyone near Pendleton or Baker City, OR and feel like helping wrench this weekend? I'd like to at least figure out what's wrong with it.

My daughter's Civic had this same problem a few years ago.

But her's would start and run after sitting a couple hours.

It was the cam position sensor. Find it inside the timing cover.

Hope this helps.

later, Jerry

So,

My daughter's Civic had this same problem a few years ago.

But her's would start and run after sitting a couple hours.

It was the cam position sensor. Find it inside the timing cover.

Hope this helps.

later, Jerry

Thanks for the idea, Jerry. I'll check that out.