Need front brakes advice.

I was thinking of upgrading my front brakes including rotors, calipers, pads, and lines. I've noticed the websites differentiate between 87-89 and 90-99 model years. What changed in those years and will it keep me from using the 90-99 stuff even though I'm upgrading pretty much every component?

knuckles are different.

if you wanna upgrade your brakes IMO go with the WJ big brake/steering setup.

So what would I need to change other than the parts listed above?

Here you go. As when I posted this previously, this is from a draft of a book I started. This material IS copyrighted, by me, and by posting it here I do NOT grant anyone permission to reproduce it anywhere else.

Please respect that.

In general, the parts to be concerned with in keeping the front brakes compatible are the steering knuckles, the hub/bearing assemblies, the rotors, and the calipers. (There is a more complete enumeration of the interrelationship of these parts in Chapter 6, Axles.)

• Only two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side knuckles are different part numbers within each group.

• Three different hub/bearing units were used. The hub/bearing units are the same for both sides of the vehicle. The different years for hub/bearing assemblies were: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

• Three rotor types were used: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast).

• Only two caliper types were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side calipers are different part numbers within each group.

The 1990 through early '99 brakes are NOT an upgrade. They use composite rotors that are extremely prone to warpage.

So when is this book coming out? I'd be interested in a copy.

The calipers are different but I managed to swap them without an issue. It's mainly the sliders and bolts (maybe pads also) that are different. I swapped in an '88 Dana 30HP into my '90 Cherokee and just had to buy new sliders and bolts and my calipers fit right on it (I used the pads that were in the '90 Jeep already as they were fairly new).

The calipers are different but I managed to swap them without an issue. It's mainly the sliders and bolts (maybe pads also) that are different. I swapped in an '88 Dana 30HP into my '90 Cherokee and just had to buy new sliders and bolts and my calipers fit right on it (I used the pads that were in the '90 Jeep already as they were fairly new).

Not according to the part numbers I show, 97 and 01 both show A1 Cardone P/N 18-4339 for the passenger side caliper, and P/N 18-4340 for driver.

Not according to the part numbers I show, 97 and 01 both show A1 Cardone P/N 18-4339 for the passenger side caliper, and P/N 18-4340 for driver.

Passenger and driver side are different but the '90 and '88 the only difference is the sliders. This is unless you're talking to Eagle and quoted the wrong one.

Passenger and driver side are different but the '90 and '88 the only difference is the sliders. This is unless you're talking to Eagle and quoted the wrong one.

Ah, my bad, I misread what you were saying. Don't mind the new guy.