looking to convert ac compressor to on board air

hey. i have an 87 mj that i put an ac compressor in so i could convert to on board air. does anyone know a basic setup i can do for cheap money? just basically looking to use to air back up when i finish off roading for now. i can't remember the name but it is the one where it uses 2 bolts to secure it to the motor.

I put a Sanden from an XJ in the cradle, and ran OBA with it for a bunch of years with no issues.

For a filter, the AC inlet fitting on my compressor was the same thread as an XJ oil filter (Metric one),

so I cut open a window in the side of an XJ oil filter, and used that as my air filter.

For the output, I used a portion of the AC line, with a flexible air line clamped onto it.

A simple electric pressure switch was used to cycle the compressor, and ran lines to air tanks in the bed.

For air tanks, I used a pair of those cheapie portable air tanks you can get at K-Mart.

Mounted them in the bed, fit perfect under the ice cooler rack.

I drilled a hole next to the fuel fill, behind the fuel door, and put the quick release air output there, so it wouldn't get packed with mud.

Kinda cool to flip open the fuel filler door to plug in the air hose after wheeling.

Also, it's centrally located, so the hose doesn't have to be as long to hit all 4 tires.

Last thing I did was put an on/off valve between the compressor, and the tanks,

incase I needed a quick shot of air, and didn't want to wait for the tanks to fill up.

Only real problem I ever had with it was I would burn up the flexible lines I ran under the hood,

temperature would kill the cheap home depot hose (I had to bring a spare piece wheeling till I sorted out the problem).

Eventually I cut up some heavy duty air hoses I got off a service station that was closing down.

Don't know the brand, but they took the heat no sweat.

Last thing,

I found a use for that horrible Slick-50 oil treatment stuff, with teflon.

Once a year I would run some through the compressor, and collect it on the output side.

I don't know how much it really helped,

but I figured the Teflon couldn't hurt, and it made me fell better about running it without lube.

Either way, I ran that thing dry for 5-6 years, and it held up just fine.

Pics:

The two tanks faded from red to pink pretty fast :doh:

not fancy,

but they did fit nicely next to the wheel well:

and the big azz cooler plopped right on top. :D

edit,

I couldn't find any underhood pics of that old MJ.

If you can find an old York compressor, those work best for on board air as they have a self contained oiling system. I've got the old york from my mustang that I've been toying with using for on board air for a while, there's not any good mounting options for those who still love their AC though.

or. maybe meet up one day and check out your setup and ya kool mj. :cheers:

You better have a time machine if you want to see that one :D ;)

I have the trail MJ in my sig now,

but it's currently off the road waiting for me to get off my @ss an finish it.