clutch "safety switch" question

The other day after work the truck would'nt start...nothing. I got jumped, fine got home, shut it off & restarted a couple of times. Let it sit a day, tried it again, started up. Seems to be ok now. But not trustable. I've noticed lately I've had to push it the clutch harder for it to start. I'm wondering if that switch were you need to press the clutch to start it could be causing battery drain. It must be electrical because it has to over-ride the ignition??? Am I thinking in the right direction maybe?

Jim

My 88 2.5 does not have a clutch safety switch. I think it is physiological, the harder you push the clutch to the floor the harder you will twist the ingition key. My son showed me the exact same thing, you twist the key hard and, it will start in any gear.

'86 didn't have a clutch safety interlock. '88 didn't, and I'm pretty certain m9 '89 doesn't. I think that first appeared in the mid- to late 90s.

Your CPS may be failing. That can cause hard starting. (Before it causes no starting.)

Ummmm, I guess I assumed it had the switch, tried to start it in neutral with no clutch and....it started. :dunce: I always push in the clutch when I start a standard shift anyway, just a habit. Anywho, what the heck is a CPS?

Crank Position Sensor

I have to start the Chief in neutral, The slave cylinder leaks down won't allow for a start in gear.

I need to replace the slave cylinder to fix it. (not getting done till I pull the external setup from my 95 XJ donor).

BTW pushing the clutch in on start is always a good habit, no matter the circumstance.

If the CPS is failing, is that an electrical component? Because I had to be jumped to get it started, and all of the radio presetts were gone. Could the CPS drain the battery? I hope I don't have an electrical Gremlin...I park it about 15' away from my J-10, and that has a few Gremlins, hope it's not close enough for them to jump to the Comanche!!!

It sounds to me like youhave a leaky clutch master cylinder. Check to see if there is any fluid running down inside your firewall above or near the fusebox. If this is occuring you WILL have all sorts of electrical problems in the future because the fluid eats plastic and corrodes all the fuses. I hope it isn't that, but if it is good luck!