Alternatives for Standard Dot3 brake fluid?

Never heard of using mineral oil, and I wonder about compatibility with the rubber parts. I use DOT-5 silicone brake fluid in both the brakes and the clutch. It's non-hygroscopic (doesn't attract moisture) and has a much higher boiling point than either DOT-3 or DOT-4 glycol-based brake fluids. I've been using it since my '88 XJ was new and I wouldn't willingly use anything else.

Never heard of using mineral oil, and I wonder about compatibility with the rubber parts. I use DOT-5 silicone brake fluid in both the brakes and the clutch. It's non-hygroscopic (doesn't attract moisture) and has a much higher boiling point than either DOT-3 or DOT-4 glycol-based brake fluids. I've been using it since my '88 XJ was new and I wouldn't willingly use anything else.

DOT-5 Silicone? any particular brand name thats available most places?

I'm in Can-eh-da, so I'm limited to Napa, Carquest and Crappy tire.

ugh, Ive gotta bleed my brakes but it just snowed 3 inches.

DOT 5 is silcone based.

I'm thinking about running it, its just I need a name of some sort, like

Jimmy's stupendous DOT-5 brake fluid :brows:

the drone at crappy tire looked at me like I had a tire sticking outta my forehead.

your from canada and it might not be called dot5, because that is the US department of transportation, so it might be labeled as something else in canada, but try looking for a silicone based fluid. it will probably be the most expensive too.

DOT 5 is silcone based.

I'm thinking about running it, its just I need a name of some sort, like

Jimmy's stupendous DOT-5 brake fluid :brows:

the drone at crappy tire looked at me like I had a tire sticking outta my forehead.

your from canada and it might not be called dot5, because that is the US department of transportation, so it might be labeled as something else in canada, but try looking for a silicone based fluid. it will probably be the most expensive too.

its still Dot3-4-5 up here too. Stick with the norm is really why things are named the same up here.

Don't remember the brand name. I used to be able to buy it through JC Whitney, but they no longer carry it. Last two times I bought it from a local speed shop -- they always have it in stock. You could also try Summit Racing; I'd bet they have it.

Yes, it is pricey, but the advantages make it well worth the extra cost (to me).

Don't remember the brand name. I used to be able to buy it through JC Whitney, but they no longer carry it. Last two times I bought it from a local speed shop -- they always have it in stock. You could also try Summit Racing; I'd bet they have it.

Yes, it is pricey, but the advantages make it well worth the extra cost (to me).

I'm a HS student working at a call centre.. I drive an MJ for a reason :D

Ill look into it, there's a new 4x4/horsepower shop here in town, they have all the good stuff, and they recently held an event to beat the hell out of a 'kitty 4x4' Ive got some pictures on my cell ph.

$5 for 10 swings on a motor-blown H2 :D the owners of the shop all have nicely rock-rashed YJ's and XJ's. plus a nice flatfender thats on for show in the shop.

I'm a HS student working at a call centre.. I drive an MJ for a reason :D

Ill look into it, there's a new 4x4/horsepower shop here in town, they have all the good stuff, and they recently held an event to beat the hell out of a 'kitty 4x4' Ive got some pictures on my cell ph.

$5 for 10 swings on a motor-blown H2 :D the owners of the shop all have nicely rock-rashed YJ's and XJ's. plus a nice flatfender thats on for show in the shop.

haha sounds cool my church did that as well but with a old f150..

but H2s.. and H3s.. are not cool.. those are just oversized suburbans/minivans in my opinion.. i hope to never see one on the trail haha.. because it will prolly be broken