4WD to 2WD conversion

Yes you read right. I have a 4x4 Pioneer MJ that I want to convert to 2wd, for race track use. Its a 91 HO 4.0. with AX-15.

I would like to know if I can just remove the t-case and use my current tranny? I know that the factory 2WD models have a longer tail cone, but I don't know if that makes a difference. I already have the 2WD axle, cross member, and drive shaft. Now I just need to figure out the tranny part.

BTW I will be selling the entire 4wd system upon completion if anyone is interested (axle [new hub, discs, pads, CAD fork], t-case, tranny mount, shaft and maybe tranny if I can't use it). 90k miles no offroad action, t-case NP-231, might need a new chain.

I met a guy that did the same thing but for desert racing,

I'm thinking your going to need a 2wd trans.

Why would you want to convert a 4X4 when 2wds are easy to find and fairly cheap?

How many miles are on your 4WD AX-15? What kind of condition is it in? Would you be interested in doing a swap with the one in my '92? It was replaced with a new unit fairly recently and shifts amazing, so I'm a little reluctant to give it up...but if I may if I can go to 4WD.

I'm anywhere from 1.5 to 3.5 hours from Long Island, depending on where you're at.