d30 axle help please

it will soon be time to change the steering u-joints in my '86 disco d30 (4.10s). i have a parts xj ('95 non disco). if i understand correctly the u-joints are bigger and better in that axle. if this is the case, does anyone know the part# for the axle seals or what my best route would be? thanx in advance and all help greatly appreciated as always.

• 2 weeks later...

i have the axles from the 95 out and waiting in the shop. ----- drivers side needs a u joint and the other is fine. i can't tell by eye if the joints are any bigger than the ones in the 86 but i understand them to be..

i saw another different part # in reference to the seal needed for the pass-side somewhere in a thread, but can't find it with the search. my local supply store consists of NAPA so am hoping to be able to go in and give them a #, so if anyone can chime -in, plz do so.

this truck has been seeing a lot of hard use lately and I'm wondering if i should be looking at the spicer u-joints. -again, anyone who wants to chime-in, - feel free.

thanks, shawn.

very cool. - i did write that # down from your build thread, but i didnt get (understand) the NOS part. ----- will grab it in the morning. -thanks again! :cheers:

thank you roger, will find out what I'm dealing with tomorrow i guess. been waiting for an excuse to upgrade to the 1 piece axle anyway so things are already looking up. hoping to get some joints that will last is all.

so here's some embarassment. i got the axle seal and dropped it off at the shop with the one piece axle. mechanic says its wrong and won't fit. everyones in a hurry to get the day over and weekend to begin. so he just installs it as if it was the old, 2 piece one. now he's gone for a week and i see oil leaking out.

I'm thinking that he wasnt installing the seal in the apropriate location. the part # for the seal is right (11771). i understand it to go just in from the pumpkin ?

if anyone could give me some specific ( and i do mean specific, lol) instructions for this , it would be greatly appreciated.

yes you are correct, have to pull the carrier and install the "inner axle seal" as matching the other side (drivers side) then the old seals are pulled and just rtv the flat plate or cover to block off the shift fork housing that is no longer needed. :thumbsup: rush or no rush sounds to me like the shop guy should of know that. :hmm:

I'm guessing that the area where the seal seats ( just inside the tube from the pumpkin) is a larger diameter (or smaller) than where the old seal was (just inside from the vacuum disconnect opening?

• 1 month later...

Sorry for stealing your thread. I have a problem with my axle seals. I replaced the upper and lower ball joint and axle shaft with new ujoint on my pass side. . I got kinda rushed with limited time to repair those worn parts. I now have lots of gear oil coming out of my pass side. It is a 90 vacumn disco axle. Is there a seal in the shift fork part of the housing that is easy to replace? If not what do i need to do to fix this problem. Its leaking bad and wanna fix it soon. Thanks.