Collision Damage

Being a unibody vehicle, there is very little that will unbolt, except the outer fenders, hood, and grille shell. The rest is welded as part of the vehicles structure. its not like the old cars where you could unbolt a whole front clip and swap an different one on. If theres frame damage, it will need to be pulled out and either straightened or replaced and re welded.

The main concern was the front frame rails and inner fenders, which I realize are welded. My initial question was basically how bad can damage be before there is just no hope. I don't have a frame machine and would'nt attempt a complicated repair like this myself. Any personal experience's, including autobody pro's, would be good to hear. I did'nt think about cutting and welding a new front section on. In some way's that sound's cheaper.

Nothing is beyond hope. I have a friend from the early days of NAXJA-NAC who started off with an '86 XJ with the 2.8L V6. He wanted to convert to a 4.0L and was deterred by the firewall issue. The lads at the local (to him) used Jeep emporium found an '88 or '89 4.0L donor vehicle, sliced both vehicles in half somewhere just behind the A pillar, then welded the entire 4.0L front "clip" onto the original back half.

You can't tell where it was cut and welded.