Fuel issue

Hey guys, board looks helpful as I've been nosing around. I have a 1990 2WD Jeep Comanche 2.5L 188k 5 speed. It has been sitting for a long time(years), but it still does crank over with a jump box. I put fresh gas in, and I'm pretty sure it is getting spark because it had spark last time I tried to get it going. Anyway, I don't think it is getting fuel because I removed both lines going to the TBI and cranked it for about 20 seconds and saw nothing. So far I have tried to swap both the relays I found under the hood with known good relays( I believe one of the relays is for the fuel pump but don't know which). That changed nothing. I don't think I heard the pump click when I turned the key but I was distracted by the dash chime and rain. Is the ECM under those relays? Should I attempt removing that to find burned diodes? I know the fuel pump is the most likely problem by far since it is a fuel delivery issue on a vehicle that hasn't run in years. Could it be a disconnected wire like the orange one in the picture? Or the blue plug in the center of the second picture? I thought that just looked like a lighting plug but who knows. Anyway, not sure if I want to put a fuel pump into this vehicle, I may just sell it or scrap it. The pump install doesn't look terribly hard and I would definitely drop the tank instead of leaving it in. It's just in a very inaccessible location and I'm betting I will want air tools to remove the bolts because I'm sure they are rusty. Should I just inflate the tires, tow it out,drop the tank and put a pump in? It has a pretty serious rod knock too from what I remember but I'd hate to get rid of it(obviously). Let me know what you think guys.

First off welcome.

Hey guys, board looks helpful as I've been nosing around. I have a 1990 2WD Jeep Comanche 2.5L 188k 5 speed. It has been sitting for a long time(years), but it still does crank over with a jump box. I put fresh gas in, and I'm pretty sure it is getting spark because it had spark last time I tried to get it going. Anyway, I don't think it is getting fuel because I removed both lines going to the TBI and cranked it for about 20 seconds and saw nothing. So far I have tried to swap both the relays I found under the hood with known good relays( I believe one of the relays is for the fuel pump but don't know which). That changed nothing. I don't think I heard the pump click when I turned the key but I was distracted by the dash chime and rain. Is the ECM under those relays? Should I attempt removing that to find burned diodes? I know the fuel pump is the most likely problem by far since it is a fuel delivery issue on a vehicle that hasn't run in years. Could it be a disconnected wire like the orange one in the picture? Or the blue plug in the center of the second picture? I thought that just looked like a lighting plug but who knows. Anyway, not sure if I want to put a fuel pump into this vehicle, I may just sell it or scrap it. The pump install doesn't look terribly hard and I would definitely drop the tank instead of leaving it in. It's just in a very inaccessible location and I'm betting I will want air tools to remove the bolts because I'm sure they are rusty. Should I just inflate the tires, tow it out,drop the tank and put a pump in? It has a pretty serious rod knock too from what I remember but I'd hate to get rid of it(obviously). Let me know what you think guys.

It's hard to see what you are talking about with crappy pics, obviously taken from a phone, although you can get decent pics with

better lighting and a little fore thought.

If the truck has been sitting for years I would think old bad gas could be a major culprit. I would make sure there is fresh gas in it

(gallon or 2, in case you have to drop the tank) then try again. Maybe try a little starting fluid to see if you can get it to fire.

Lastly, you came on this board and asked for help, that's what were here for. But I beg of you not to do "something like scrapping

the truck" because that is also why we are here, to keep these trucks alive. You never said where you are at, and more pics of the

truck overall would be great. To post photos directly into your threads start here viewtopic.php?f=6&t=11077 Please let us help you, get that MJ the help it deserves.

Sorry about the low quality of the pics, just been a lot of rain so I haven't had a chance to get any good ones in sunlight. I'm going to try starting fluid as soon as it's nice out and then I will see if I can hear any hum from the fuel pump. After that I will likely be putting a fuel pump in unless it miraculously works. Sorry I don't have more pics to post yet (she is in ROUGH shape), but I felt guilty not responding and will post with an update by the end of the month. Thank you for the suggestions, and I'm in Newburgh, NY.

Hey man,it looks like I will need to put this in the classifieds even though I don't think there are any good parts, the frame is severely rotting, there's a rod knock, body is rusted and dented. It does turn over but won't run even with starting fluid. Not a lot of positives for this poor MJ. Looks like I'll just stick with the 58' CJ-5.

• 1 month later...