SOA options.DIY CHEAP

there has probably been this same post on here before so I'm sorry.but my question is.i want to do a spring over axle lift.but i only want 4" or 4.5". is there a way i can build a spring pack from other leafs off of other vehicles so i don't have to spend the extra money on a new spring pack?? i don't want to do a add a leaf but I'm open for input on them?

if you put on 2wd leaves that should put you around 4"-4.5" vs a stock 4X4

This is wrong . there is a minimum gain of 4.5" (D35 w/2.75"tube diam) , then , it's plus whatever height the spring perch over the axle . Mine is 1" for example . My gain would be 5.5" on a SOA with a 2WD

The SOA doesn't care if your 4x4 or not . Lift is from where you started to where the end result finishes .

Yes , a 2wd is 1" lower than a 4x4 Comanche . But , you will NOT gain extra lift from doing a SOA because your 4x4 .

I don't know who started all this , but consider it an urban legend . Measure it !!

IIRC, with Ruffstuffspecialties perches (that sit higher than stock) on a 3" 8.25 axle tube I gained 5.25" of lift IIRC, but it could have been 5.75". Let's for the sake of argument say 5.5". That means that with 2wd leafs (1" lower than 4wd ones) you will gain 4.5" over stock 4wd setup.

Either way, our trucks are raked forward quite a bit from the factory, and you will still want close to 6.5" up front for it to look level.

My 2WD sits in my shop , from the bottom of my spring to the top of the axle measure 4.5" . I could only gain a 4.5" lift if I weld the springs directly to the axle with no perch . It's 4.5 plus the perch height .

What does it matter what springs you have . Moving an object a certain distance is moving an object a certain distance , no matter what the object .

I'm sorry but that didnt answer my question..

Accually , it did .

"It's going to be VERY hard to get ~4" of lift with SOA using MJ leafs. You'll have to use FSJ leafs or a Hybrid XJ/MJ pack (MJ main with XJ others). Even with a 2WD MJ pack your going to net 5"+ of lift." Motion Offroad

BTW , note the last part of this quote , this man knows how to use a measuring tape :peek:

My 2WD sits in my shop , from the bottom of my spring to the top of the axle measure 4.5" . I could only gain a 4.5" lift if I weld the springs directly to the axle with no perch . It's 4.5 plus the perch height .

What does it matter what springs you have . Moving an object a certain distance is moving an object a certain distance , no matter what the object .

You misunderstand what I''m saying. 2wd leafs sit the truck 1" lower than 4wd leafs. So gaining 5.5" going spring over with 2wd leafs (lifted 5.5") is only 4.5" higher than a stock 4wd truck.

Either way, to still go SOA and sit lower yet, he will have to bastard pack leaf packs, possibly with XJ leafs in the mix.

BTW. I use a tape measure for a living. The tape doesn't lie, just your interpretation of my words.

if you put on 2wd leaves that should put you around 4"-4.5" vs a stock 4X4

This is wrong . there is a minimum gain of 4.5" (D35 w/2.75"tube diam) , then , it's plus whatever height the spring perch over the axle . Mine is 1" for example . My gain would be 5.5" on a SOA with a 2WD

The SOA doesn't care if your 4x4 or not . Lift is from where you started to where the end result finishes .

Yes , a 2wd is 1" lower than a 4x4 Comanche . But , you will NOT gain extra lift from doing a SOA because your 4x4 .

I don't know who started all this , but consider it an urban legend . Measure it !!

You we're over thinking it a bit,The OP has a 4X4 so if he went out to his truck and put your 2wd springs in it his truck would then sit about 1 " lower then it does now.

Ok , I understand what your saying too .

I've been fighting the "foot in mouth" syndrome for years , guess I need stronger meds :help: . Not meaning to argue , guess I needed to understand it better .

Correct me if this is wrong , cause I think I got it this time

Spring over axle conversion lift heights :

2wd stock springs - 5-5.75" depending on perch/axle choice

4wd stock springs - 5-5.75" depending on perch/axle choice

4wd w/2wd springs remove 1 inch lift height over-all

2wd/4wd with MJ main/XJ others can reduce lift up to another 1"

Stock XJ shackles will lower the jeep another (approx) 1" but are recomended against (flip at flex)

Reference pics :

88 2wd MJ D35 , it measured 4.5" , the angle is off in the pic

91 4wd MJ D44 , it measured 4.75 , again , bad angles

Leaf spring options :

add-a-leaf : Hell's Creek or Rusty's . Mostly combined with a 1" lift shackle for approx 3" of lift

Spring pack's :4" at Rusty's , Custom from Hells creek but nothing being produced for up to 6 more weeks .

Shackles :

2" longer means 1" ride height increase

Most XJ shackles are required to be a 2" lift shackle to make approx 1" lift to a MJ

About 3/4". A 2" XJ lift shackle would be 4" longer than a stock XJ shackle, or roughly 7" to 7.5" long. This is about the same as a Chevy 2" drop shackle. IIRC my Chevy drop shackles measure 7.25" and gave me 3/4" lift.