quick question

It's not as strong as the AX15. Behind the 2.5 and 2.8 it will run forever. Behind the 4.0 it will break. Actually if you baby it, it will last behind the 4.0, but if you're going to baby, then what in H*ll you driving a Jeep for?

no babying here. so it seems i am good with my 2.5 ax5 combo. if i ever upgrade to the 4.0 then i will look for the ax15 behind it. so my 87 dakota trans looks nuthing like them any idea what it may be?

nevermind i went and found the tag on the dakota trans its a np a535 trans these any good?

no babying here. so it seems i am good with my 2.5 ax5 combo. if i ever upgrade to the 4.0 then i will look for the ax15 behind it. so my 87 dakota trans looks nuthing like them any idea what it may be?

nevermind i went and found the tag on the dakota trans its a np a535 trans these any good?

There's no bellhousing out there that will allow you to put an AX-5 behind a 4.0 anyway. If you do a 4.0 swap, you'll find 3 different 5 speeds behind it:

Pukey BA 10/5: 87-mid 89

AX-15 : mid 89-99

NV3550 : 00-01

Those are for the XJ anyway, I'm not entirely sure if the YJ/TJs used the same years, but they used the same transmissions.

There's no bellhousing out there that will allow you to put an AX-5 behind a 4.0 anyway. If you do a 4.0 swap, you'll find 3 different 5 speeds behind it:

Pukey BA 10/5: 87-mid 89

AX-15 : mid 89-99

NV3550 : 00-01

Those are for the XJ anyway, I'm not entirely sure if the YJ/TJs used the same years, but they used the same transmissions.

Don't need no stinkin bell housing. That's what duct tape is for.