Sound deadening

I am in the process of replacing my headliner. That also required me to remove the carpet panel in the back below the rear window and the plastic b-pillar trim.

Since so much has been removed already, I have been considering installing sound deadening material so I could listen better to the fidelity of my crappy factory radio. Here is what I was considering installing behind the seats, b-pillar and the roof:

http://www.edesignaudio.com/product_info.php?products_id=55

It is a closed foam product which is not suppose to absorb moisture and it is not tar based so it shouldnt smell during a nice sunny day. Plus it is inexpensive.

Has anyone done this with any success?

• 1 month later...

It is difficult to say if it helped and how much is my imagination. I was going to measure it with a SPL meter but I didnt get around to it. But I believe it helped a lot. Rather than putting it on the truck, I installed it on the inside of the b-pilar panels, the carpeted panel behind the seat and the roof.

They say the best areas you can install it and get the best results were behind the door panels and the transmisson hump but I didnt have those tore apart so it never got installed in those areas. I may put some in the door panels over the winter.

Personally, I have mixed feelings about whether I should have installed it in the ceiling. It made my headliner panel fit a little tight so I was not able to snap the plastic clip back of the driver side trim over the door (anyone know which one I am talking about?). But installing it there may have had a lot of impact too.

Sorry for the inconclusive results but if anyone needs to know for sure, they will need to drive here to my house, use my SPL meter to go down the road at a certain speed with their truck and repeat using my truck. :thumbsup:

I will be doing my entire interior pretty soon and this stuff seems like good quality. I'm thinking of using it everywhere possible including under the carpet and under the hood if the heat rating is appropriate. It'll be nice to not have so much noise coming into the cab.