new member with intro and question about lockers for the d30

hackedmj, I'll find out for sure about squally and lil buffalo from a local jeepster when I see him. the road i presumed to be to squally was on the right aways passed hooper bald. I went up there a couple of days ago to check to see if any snow and enjoy the sunset at big junction. on the way back I thought I saw the road with a gate across it but I'm not certain it was the right road and I wasn't really looking for it. Lets get together some time and I'll show you around. Its just me here and I have lots of room so if you want to make a weekend of it and even bring some other jeepers that would be fine to. All ya have to bring is some grub. l8r frank

hackedmj, well I got the pukegoat,np231 and both diffs fluid changed and put on a new husky class 3 receiver this week. I'm wanting to build some bumpers but I have to get a mig welder first but i've been checking out some of the other mj owners rigs and doing a lil japanese engineering. Today I got inspired and went wheelin on the ol wagon train road to andrews. It was a nice ride thru the snowbird mountains but no real 4x4ing. There were signs along the way about it being built in 1838 by gen fields by the us army for the trail of tears. I detoured off to another road up to Joanna bald lookout and man what a view. I'll let ya know if I get with some locals on squally and other trails. you need to find time and get rolling. L8R Frank

Looking back, that's a really stupid concept. It'll never be streetable at the rate I'm going. :roll:

LMAO!! I know exactly how you feel :) Gave up on Daily Driver Commanche, and bought a 2001 Grand Cherokee for the daily stuff. I then promptly purchased a full detroit for the front, but still can't decide if i want a spendy detroit or just a spool for my 8.8in the rear.

You're right, Lincoln locking is welding the spiders. A full spool is the correct method of welding a diff, it eliminates the spiders all together by replacing your carrier. A mini-spool goes inside the stock carrier, it's just a cheaper alternative to a full spool.

Realistically, it's quite hard to actually break a welded/min-spooled diff, but if you actually do break the carrier you go to a spool.

I have to agree with DirtyComanche, welding the rear up, or using a spool of any type is not for a rig that gets driven on the street any amount of the time. The only reason why I am lincoln locked in the rear is, I got tired of being denied when my Factory LSD wasnt doing like it was suppose to. After we welded up my rear diff, it was a point and shoot affair, and my rig went where I pointed it. :twisted: Keep in mind this is a trail rig.

Well, after some looking I think it's the late 80's to early 90's volvo 740 and 760. The axle is a custom peice, but uses a D30 pumpkin. Thus, the carrier can be pulled and used in the front D30. You might have to modify your axleshafts slightly (that sounds ominous) although the spline count is the same, at 27. I'm pretty sure they just meant grind a bit off the end of the splines for the 'modifying' thing.

That's all I got for you, for now.

You're research is correct. Saw a couple Volvo's in the 'yard Saturday, and sure 'nuff they have D30 center sections in the rear. Low pinion, and I swear that pinion shaft must be at least a foot long :shock: The housing also has a funky panhard bar mount cast into it on the lower right side....it's a pretty funky setup compared to a D30 under the front of a Jeep :lol: , but it's a D30 nonetheless.

Jeff

OK, I have yet another question, I checked out the lockers on ebay. My question is; I you go to a lockers on the d30 front diff are you still able to disconnect the front like if you have the original setup :?: I'd like to be able to have the posi only when I engauge the 4wd. thanks

Unless you do a hub conversion on your front end (warn, mile maker, or some form of a home breew one), Your front axles turn when your tires do. Being that you have the VD axles, it won't be as much of a big deal, cause when your not in 4wd, only the drivers side axle shaft is turning. I have done the conversion on my front axle, and I do not notice the locker up front.

Patrick

The front driveshaft will spin, so it better be balanced/undamaged. You can test that first by just putting it in 4Hi and taking a run up the street and see if you get any vibes/clanks. The locker won't rachet or behave unprdicatble in 2wd though. If you do the cable actuated (posi-lock) vac disco replacement, you can have 3Lo with a locker, which would give you a turning advantage if you're running really tight stuff. Although, that's not exactly a knockout feature.

Short answer is it'll work good.

The hub conversion is a ripoff.

The hub conversion is a ripoff.

Why do you say that. I know a few ppl running them, and they have had zero isuues. I agree they are pricey, and you can build a D44 with a j-yard housing for a lil more, but why do you say that?

Patrick

That's why I say it. Throwing that much money in the D30 is just, ugh. I guess if you already had a lot in it, it might make sense... I think it would make more sense to at that point sell your built D30 to somebody else, and find another front.

I don't know what they retail for, but I heard $1600 all said and done from a local guy here. That's Canadian + 14% tax and shipping. Might have included having to machine rotors? I don't know, I don't remember everything that has to be done for the hub conversion.