New to the forum, search help please

Hi Guys!

I am a VERY proud new owner of a 89 MJ, 4.0 5speed with a 5" RockyRoad lift, 33x12.50 Trxus and soon to be highly modified cappershell living-quarters.

First of all let me say, Great Site! I have already learned so much here. Thank you, it seems like a very solid community with much less bickering and bantering than the normal Jeep forums. No one needs to hear what a dumb-@$$ they are and some of the other sites seem to thrive on that attitude. So I feel much more comfortable posting this hear.

Secondly, let me tell you I live in SLC in the winter. For the skiing of course and Moab in the summer working on a wildland fire crew there. I know some stuff about working on cars and am learning more every day. Especially since I have been buying older cars. My last car was a 88 Subbie Wagon I bought with 187k for $300, I milked and wrenched that baby for over 35k more before giving it to a friend who still drives it from Denver to the ski hills all the time! This new rig I found in the classifieds for $1850 with the brand new tires and lift. Engine runs great 167k and tranny shifts like a dream. It did have some death wobble but I have almost completely fixed that with thanks to this Forum!!! Was that a good deal? There is a fair amount of rust but I have a shipment of POR 15 coming and hope to (almost) stop it in it's tracks. BTW, thanks for the multiple, CHECK YOUR FLOOR! warnings as mine is rusted :( I'm pretty sure I am going to cut out the rust prep and POR the hell out of and then rivet in some Heavy duty plastic or hard rubber to patch the hole. Also I am thinking about tearing out the sound stopping foam/felt as it seems like the root of the problem. Anyone have a recommended replacement? Also any hints on using the search function? I have tried using the "xxxxxx" (query in quotes) to search a complete phrase but I don't think it is set up to handle that type of query. Is the standard procedure to scour the results or is there a best way to eliminate the noise? I tried to find a parts schematic, does it exist? I have the trusty Haynes by my side but somethings are only described via text and hard to determine the exact part to buy at my local parts-gouging-emporium. I need the name/description of the tie-rod end connected to the pitman arm, I think it is the last cause of the DW. Also, what are my options for installing some solid front tow points. It has nothing, WTF? Thanks for all the great info so far and I am sure more to come! Oh yeah did I mention I am a chick and can't wait to wheel the hell out of this thing at Little Sahara over Easter. Anyone going to be there?

Welcome to the site!

Here is a link to a site with a diagram of the front end parts and how to do a diy alignment too.

http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html

As far as searching goes I like to use just a few key words only. Such as "tow points" Then in the top right corner there is a box that allows you to search for something else within the results to further narrow down your search.

Also feel free to post up some pictures and an introduction in the "introduce your comanche thread"

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=15

Welcome to the forums!

Post some pics when you get the chance.

The search on the forum sucks, it takes alot of sorting and sifting to find anything you need. I just use google. just start out the search with site:comancheclub.com then you can use quotes, +/-, or any other modifier to search the site. it just won't pop up any threads started within a day or two. Hope this helps. :thumbsup:

Plus, you can search for words under 5 letters long. apparently you can't search for any words less than 10 letters long on here. it really helps out when what your looking for is less than 15 letters long. Examples: 2.5, 2.5l, 4.0, 97+. bottom line, you can get a lot more specific with google.

Welcome to the Club! There is a good group of folks here.

The search function here is at best tolerable. I have found that by limiting the number of key words and selecting what forum I speculate the best results will be in seems to work.

You can visit www.greatlakesXJ.com and download the XJ FSM (factory service manual) to use for most repairs. Occasionally a MJ FSM pops up on eBay. Those other off the shelf manuals aren't even worth their weight in paper and ink.

Be sure to use the Marine Clean and Metal Ready (it may be called prep something now) before applying POR15. And wear gloves! Trust me...

I have been to Moab once. It was awesome. Scenery like nothing I have ever witnessed. I do want to go back, just not at the end of June like I did last time.... :dunce:

Thanks a lot! That site:xxxxxxx search in google is great, can't believe I hadn't heard of it before. Tried posting some pics this morning, the site wouldn't allow the profile pic to go through. I tried 100x100 even. I'll have to take some lower res pics with my camera then post. Maybe this will work.

186704_40606985_2530641_n.jpg

87Warrior, I did get the Marine Clean and Prep and Ready with the POR 15. Did you have good results with it?

87Warrior, I did get the Marine Clean and Prep and Ready with the POR 15. Did you have good results with it?

The paint seems to have stuck to the metal really good. Unfortunately I have just recently applied it so I can't say if its bullet proof or not. You can click the comanche link in my signature to see what I have done with it.