Dropping Oil Pan on 88 MJ 4.0L w 4x4

I need to drop the oil pan on my 88 MJ. I'm worried that the pan will hit the front axle and I will not have the clearance needed to pull the pan. Would the pan clear if I jack the truck up by the frame? Will this drop the axle far enought to get the pan out?

Thanks

I have had good luck getting the pan out by removing the track bar from the bracket on the frame and then jacking the frame of the truck up. That was able to get me enough clearance in my '88MJ 4x4 and my '92MJ 2x4 to get the pan out. It will still require some crafty maneuvering, but it will come out. Use jackstands!

Wouldn't it be easier to un-bolt the trackbar at the axle end? I have never dropped an oil pan. Just seems like less work.

I've done it this way before, but I found it easier to pop the ball joint out so the track bar lays down on top of the axle and out of the way.

Well we ended up pulling the oil pump without pulling the pan down all of the way. I do not recomend this at all, but we were in a pinch. I bought this truck a few days ago and needed to get it home. I'll be pulling the pan once again to clean the gasket surfaces and replacing the gaskets.

Will the drag link lower when I jack the truck up? The track bar doesnt seem to be in the way too much, but the pan hits the drag link.

Well we ended up pulling the oil pump without pulling the pan down all of the way. I do not recomend this at all, but we were in a pinch. I bought this truck a few days ago and needed to get it home. I'll be pulling the pan once again to clean the gasket surfaces and replacing the gaskets.

Will the drag link lower when I jack the truck up? The track bar doesnt seem to be in the way too much, but the pan hits the drag link.

haha ive been there. once i just plum f**king forgot to put the pump back on! when i noticed i was already bolting up the pan. i just let it drop and slid that thing in there. i dread it cause now I'm about to throw on a new oil pump. i hate dropping the pan :hateputers:

everything should droop as you raise it. i know i took the starter out and set it on the UCA just for more space.

I removed my starter and exhuast before start on oil pan but mine is already 6" lifted without need use jackstand but took me total about 3 hours from start to finish.

i think i gotta drop oilpan again for stupid rear main seal :doh: but at least I got more better tools to use it.... air rachet :wrench: expect my air compressor is screwed up. :(

• 3 weeks later...

Did not work. I lifted the truck and put stands on the frame. The wheels are not on the ground. I tried this first without removing the track bar and was not able to clear the axle enough to get the oil pan. I put the truck back down. I then dropped the track bar and lifted the truck back onto it's frame. I did not notice any difference between track bar on vs. track bar off. The steering stabilizer was in the way so I removed it and it dropped the pan a couple of inches but the oil pan is still pinched in between the front gear housing and the transmission. The front of the oil pan is hitting the drag link. Next I will drop the drag link and I hope to get enough clearance then. Had to stop for today. Should I remove the drag link while the truck is on the wheels or can I do it while on stands? Should I remove the sway bar links? Can I use a bottle jack between the front axle and the frame?

twist a hair counter clockwise while pulling down and out. assuming you crawled under from behind the drivers wheel and are laying with your head just under the passenger side. i removed the starter and steering damper as well and moved around the cooler lines. its been soo long but i struggled with it at first too. glad i don't have stock suspension anymore :shake: hope you get it

edit:

$#!& if i remembered correctly just now, i had to undo the oil pump first to get it to drop better! just remember to put it back on right before you put the pan up to bolt it in. theres a little lip in the 4.0 pan that grabs it.

I was able to get it out w/o too much trouble on my 2wd but then again there is not a diff in the way. Put jackstands under the "frame" and let the suspension droop out. I think I dropped my drag link if I remember correctly for more room to move. The first battle was actually getting the pan off the engine. 8 foot 2x4 came in handy..

Thank you all for the input. It's nice to have help like this.

Have the shocks loose?

Rob

I have not touched the shocks

$#!& if i remembered correctly just now, i had to undo the oil pump first to get it to drop better! just remember to put it back on right before you put the pan up to bolt it in. theres a little lip in the 4.0 pan that grabs it.

Trying to avoid this. I want to be able to take the pan off, change rear main, apply correct torque on the oil pump bolts, then re-install with new gasket.

• 4 weeks later...

WIN!

I ended up loosening the shocks, dropping track bar and drag link, ratcheting the front axle forward, placing a bottle jack in between the axle and frame, and dropping the oil pump. I then spent hours scraping gasket, and then replacing the rear main seal. I put it all back together last night and the oil leak has been solved. Thanks for the help.