Debating a front axle swap

So I picked up my 92 metric ton Comanche this weekend, and found out that I don't need to change the transmission. The lines were rotted completely, so it just needed some fluid and it moves fine. Unfortunately the front axle is a little iffy. The perch for the coil spring has partially rusted away, and the passenger axle shaft broke and wreaked havoc on the bolts for my wheel bearing. My question is whether you genius's think I should try and repair the current axle or go sawzall an axle out of a Cherokee at my local u-pick. I priced an axle out at a salvage yard already pulled out with the control arms for $250, but that seems a little pricey to me.

Yeah, I thought $250 seemed a little pricey. I'll have to go visit the u-pull when I get home this weekend. I get the owner a lot of business so he usually cuts me a decent deal.

jimoshel - I'm all the way across the US in Maine, so a $100 D30 would probably end up costing a fortune including shipping.

jeepcoma - If I do end up rebuilding the axle, how much would you want for the axle shafts?

jeepcoma - If I do end up rebuilding the axle, how much would you want for the axle shafts?

Cost of shipping should do it, maybe a few bucks for a six-pack of cold ones :cheers:

They're attached to the unit bearings, I can't remember if they are in good condition or not. The u-joints i would replace as well, at least one I remember was sticky. I can dismantle the whole thing and just send the shafts, which I imagine would be much cheaper. I also have my original '91 CAD D30 shafts still sitting in the axle. Or, if you're ever in the upstate NY area or down near Boston you could grab whatever you wanted.

if the dana 30 was rust free, needed nothing, had the bigger u-joints and was the right gear ratio, I might be willing to shell out 250. but it'd better be perfect.

car-part.com may be of help in your junkyard searchings. I'd start with 95+ XJs w/ABS and expand the search from there if that doesn't pan out.

Well I picked up an axle out of a 96 with the control arms for $150, already out of the vehicle. It's missing the passenger side wheel bearing, and the guy at the junkyard gave me a non-abs passenger side axle shaft to go with it, but the axle itself is in much better condition. The only problem is the passenger lower control arm bracket is bent a little. Would heating it up and straightening it out be a bad idea? The bracket itself looks fairly sturdy, and not rusty. And perfect alignment has never really been my thing anyway. :smart:

I've been searching car-part.com for low mileage young D30 (3.55) and seems that $250

is a rather low price for a young one. Pete, is there something special about 1995, or isn't

that just where the larger U-joints begin? And why the ABS model for a non-ABS truck?