cross harness picture

one of these days I'm going to search the wrecking yard for my door upgrade wiring (97+ eletric windows/mirrors/locks). i have a few question, the harness I'm looking for, does anybody know if its on the upper side of the dash, or underneath? is it just wiring or is there relays that i will need? i have a fealing that i will have to tear the dash out of the donor to get what i want, and it will be more clear then but I'm just trying to figure out what I'm looking for looks like. does anybody have a picture of the cross harness pulled out? thanks

I have a '97 ZJ but they are so different from a XJ I'm not sure if I could help or not. If any body knows for sure let us know. If it will work I will take pics and if wanted, you can have the harness for $5 plus shipping.

The 97ZJ wiring is vastly different as it uses a driver door module (DDM) and passenger door module (PDM) and has connectors for each of those, but I guess it may still work for his application. The XJ is a pretty plain-jane wiring system for the power windows/locks/mirrors. According to the wiring diagrams there are no relays that I can see - just couple of fused, switched power leads to the drivers door power window/locks/mirror switch, which is then distributed throughout the rest of the vehicle to the other window motors, door locks, and passenger mirror.

Now, if you're looking for some kind of separate wiring harness for all of this, you're out of luck. The wiring for these components are all part of the main interior wiring harness that goes from the passenger kick panel junction box, over to the massive C201 connector near the middle of the dash and over on to the gray C200 connector on the drivers kick panel.

Are you going full 97+ interior conversion or just the doors?

If you look up the wiring harness you should be able to make the harness you need to go across the body to the other door. My 1986 donor didnt have a seperate cross harness so I cut off the connectors and looked up the diagram and made it myself. Works great! Though it would be much easier if you could just plug n play. Ive heard tell of the cross harness existing but have never seen one.... so... GOODLUCK!

Oh, the 97+ harness certainly does some "crossing over" but the harness is massive and there are a ton of items running through it for various different systems. I haven't yet been concerned with this particular portion of the XJ interior wiring harness for my XJ/ZJ wiring project I'm doing with my 5.9L powered Comanche so I don't have a good shot of it, but here's a picture of just ONE of the harness plugs you'd be dealing with - the gray plug in the upper part of the picture is the one I'm speaking of:

It's a "two-way" plug in the sense that you've got multiple power wires traveling one way feeding the drivers side door switch and then you've got signal wires traveling the other way going to other parts of the vehicle to control the rear doors and front passenger door stuff.

what a PITA. thats a negative on the 97 interior, 89 mj, with 96 xj 4.0 wiring harness. ive read a little about doing this wiring and about all of the articles said something about the cross harness, jp magazine had an article sayin they had it mostly working with homemade wiring, but it probably needed relays or somthing. I'm terrible at reading wiring diagrams so i may just have to search for manual window/door panels if its goin to be so complicated

edit: i was under the impression i could grab the pwr window/lock harness from any year xj, are pre 97 and different than post 97??

what a PITA. thats a negative on the 97 interior, 89 mj, with 96 xj 4.0 wiring harness. ive read a little about doing this wiring and about all of the articles said something about the cross harness, jp magazine had an article sayin they had it mostly working with homemade wiring, but it probably needed relays or somthing. I'm terrible at reading wiring diagrams so i may just have to search for manual window/door panels if its goin to be so complicated

edit: i was under the impression i could grab the pwr window/lock harness from any year xj, are pre 97 and different than post 97??

Different how? The functionality of the power door locks/windows/mirrors may be the same conceptually between pre and post-97, but the wiring is certainly all kinds of different.

is the wiring any easier on pre 96, doesnt have such an integrated window wiring into the rest of the harness? i was expecting a pwr wire into the fuse block going to the driver side switch, then the passanger wires running from the driver side to passanger side. now that was probably a pipe dream but seemed simple enough to work

is the wiring any easier on pre 96, doesnt have such an integrated window wiring into the rest of the harness? i was expecting a pwr wire into the fuse block going to the driver side switch, then the passanger wires running from the driver side to passanger side. now that was probably a pipe dream but seemed simple enough to work

Well, what you described IS how the 97+ XJs are wired, there just happens to be a whole heap of other crap in there too!

I honestly don't know how the earlier XJs are wired, but I think I may have the FSMs for those at home I could peak at. I've never personally seen the interior wiring for an XJ prior to 1997 so I can't speak from first-hand experience like I can with 97+ XJ stuff.

Thinking out loud here...

If I were you, I would do some home-made wiring. You'll need to run three power feeds to the drivers door. One for the windows, one for the mirrors and one for the door locks.

Then you'll need to run two signal wires from the drivers door to the passenger door for the windows. Then three additional wires from the drivers door to the passenger for the pass. mirror (yes, it needs three wires). Then you'll need to run two for the door locks. Now, the 97+ XJ doors also show that you need power to the passenger door locks, but it may have something to do with the overhead console and remote keyless entry.

There is a cross body/dash wire harness that everyone uses for the power door upgrade. Not sure if it needs to spliced out of the rest of the dash harness, but I think it is seperate. PM shelbyluvv he should be able to answer your questions.