Dana 44 U-bolts? 2.75" or 2 7/8"?

So I ordered some U-Bolts to arrive tomorrow. They only have 2 7/8" U-bolts. Will that work with an MJ 44 or do I need to get some made in 2.75" (possible but a far drive compared to what the parts store is getting me by tomorrow). Just want to know before I take apart the manche tonight.

So I ordered some U-Bolts to arrive tomorrow. They only have 2 7/8" U-bolts. Will that work with an MJ 44 or do I need to get some made in 2.75" (possible but a far drive compared to what the parts store is getting me by tomorrow). Just want to know before I take apart the manche tonight.

What diameter u-bolts are you getting? The stuff I've seen in most parts houses is typically 3/8" or 7/16". The OEM u-bolts for the MJ are 14mm -- the nearest SAE equivalent is 9/16", although I think a GOOD quality 1/2" is fine for most ordinary purposes, and better than a 20+ year old, rusted-out 14mm. But I wouldn't go smaller than 1/2"

These are 1/2" thick, 2 7/8" axle opening, 8 inches long.

They will work fine, best if they are grade 8, bit long though. Use grade 8 HI nuts with them (more thread engagement) w. a couple of flat washers , torque them up, then add a lock nut. After a couple of hundred miles, re-torque. That's where I am now on my D44 install. :cheers:

Thanks Don.

I didn't buy the Dorman ones because I found out they are Chinese. So I went to the spring shop near the driveshaft shop that shorted my shaft and had some 2.75X8X9/16" grade 8 bolts bent along with grade 8 hi-nuts and grade 8 thick washers. $60 for the set but well worth it to first off support :USAflag: and consequently get a quality product.

Thanks Don.

I didn't buy the Dorman ones because I found out they are Chinese. So I went to the spring shop near the driveshaft shop that shorted my shaft and had some 2.75X8X9/16" grade 8 bolts bent along with grade 8 hi-nuts and grade 8 thick washers. $60 for the set but well worth it to first off support :USAflag: and consequently get a quality product.

Sounds good. Let us know how they work. :thumbsup:

Factory could have worked with the Dana 44. Once under there my new grade 8 u-bolts worked perfectly. Axles in, driveshafts in, and weight sensing valve is ready to hooked up but not before i pull the cover to reseal and refill some 80W-90. If only I had a posi!