2wd to 4wd

alright i already have a 1990 comanche 4x4, doesnt run but used to and the drivetrain is fine aside from the motor. the frame is in real bad shape and the cab needs alot of work done to it while the bed is unsalvagable.

theres a 1987 comanche for sale locally for 1200 with a fresh paint job and motor. it is a 6 cyl but could be the 2.8. with an auto tranny. How in depth is the conversion to 4x4? are the mounts there for the control arms and coil springs? will the transfercase fit with the tranny?

i know its hard to help not knowing what tranny is in it and which 6 cyl it has but the biggest problem is mounting the front axle.

i have an xj for parts also so i have atleast two aw4's and np231 and an np242, 1 vac disconnect front axle, and one non vac disconnect and 2 4.0 motors plus driveshafts from all of the above. i think i should have the parts to do it but i don't have a good welder nor good welding capabilities so i hope the mounts are already ther.

ok then its definetly the 4.0 and yeah I'm not lookin for another pile of rust. definetly gonna make sure theres no hidden surprises with this one.

after i bought the 90 i got it home and took a hammer to the frame ended up with a hole about 2 ft by 4 inches long down the frame. ive learned my lesson.

so if its the 4.0 does that mean its the aw4 and that either one of the tcases will fit?

the tc should bolt up if both are autos. from then on its just unbolt everything from the 1990 and puttting it on the 87. i do believe that the AW4 has to be switched aswell. Where is Ware? I'm in pepperell MA if that means anything. if its not too far maybe i could lend a hand.

so i called the guy on it and I'm gonna go look at it on saturday morning he said motor runs good but the tranny slips when its cold. now this isnt really a big deal because i have two spares and plan on converting it to 4x4 as soon as i get it. so the real question is am i going to have to swap trannys to fit the tcase or can i use the one thats already there? if i can use the one thats already there anyone know antidisestablishmentarianism would cause it to slip when cold? its a 4.0 motor with auto tranny sso I'm assuming its an aw4

alright then ill just pull the one out of the 90 its got 175k and I'm not sure about how well its been maintained. but ive got another when it goes.

and by the way pete u are the man. i post a question and ur there within 5 minutes. thanks for helpin me out

AW4s are beastly. my brothers has 240k on it and it hasnt leaked a drop in 2 years. he also busted a line for it in the mud, and completely fubared some stuff, it overheated.. he changed the fluids, threw in a b&m cooler, changed the fluids (like 4 times) and it still shifts as smooth as glass.

i woudltn be worried abuot the one with 175k on it at all... maybe jsut a fluid change

well i went to check her out found an early christmas present, a nice d44 rearend, bodys in good shape, bed is mint and i finally got to see a comanche frame with no holes. hes askin 1200 cash but it has some tranny issues, if i didnt have two spare trannys it wouldnt be worth 1200. u guys think its worth it?