Transmission Compatibility?

Hi All,

I have an 87' MJ with an inline 6 and a manual Puegot BA/10 5 tranny. I want to put the AX-15 in it. What years will work? I'm looking at one from a 96' Cherokee. Will that bolt up?

When I swapped mine, the output shaft on the AX15 was larger in diameter the the Peugeot so a different driveshaft or yolk might be needed.

P.S. I grew up in Essex Jct. Have a Michigan Dog from Beensie's for me when they set up at Battery Park.

When I swapped mine, the output shaft on the AX15 was larger in diameter the the Peugeot so a different driveshaft or yolk might be needed.

P.S. I grew up in Essex Jct. Have a Michigan Dog from Beensie's for me when they set up at Battery Park.

Yours is 2wd, his is 4wd. All Jeep NP 231s have a 27 spline output, there won't be any yoke issues.

For the output shaft... that's between the trans and T-case. Pukeys have a 21 spline output, AX-15's have a 23 spline output. Your current T-case will not bolt up to an AX-15.

If you get the trans from the 96, you'll need the pilot bushing from a 74 CJ with a 304.

Pukey and AX-15 are the same length, so there won't be any need for new driveshafts.

:rotf: Riot! I saw that old bus driving around in the Old North End last Summer. What a heap! I don't know what holds it together. They do make some fine dogs though. It's parked a couple blocks down from my place for the Winter,.... eight foot snow banks have it boxed in right now.

Yours is 2wd, his is 4wd. All Jeep NP 231s have a 27 spline output, there won't be any yoke issues.

For the output shaft... that's between the trans and T-case. Pukeys have a 21 spline output, AX-15's have a 23 spline output. Your current T-case will not bolt up to an AX-15.

If you get the trans from the 96, you'll need the pilot bushing from a 74 CJ with a 304.

Pukey and AX-15 are the same length, so there won't be any need for new driveshafts.

Great info. Thanks all, that answers my big questions. I'll search the write ups for the details and procedures for the swap.