Gauge Swap

I'm swapping gauges in a 2.5. I do NOT have the idiot light option so I know I don't have to change the sensors

My question is....

I can only seem to find gauges out of 6cyl. Is there anything I need to change to make em work right or will it just be "plug and play"?? I have heard of tachs not working right when taking a cluster from a 6 and installing it into a 4 setup so I'm wondering what problems I might have and what the fix is.

Yes the tach will be off,otherwise its plug and play.

Some of the tachs have pots in them for adjustment and some you have to find the right resistor.

Also make sure to get the right cluster,some early speedos hook up different then later ones and no cluster after 1990 will work.

What's wrong with your cluster?

Also make sure to get the right cluster,some early speedos hook up different then later ones and no cluster after 1990 will work.

There are two different styles of speedometers, which have different cable attachments. Either will work but you may need to change your cable. Easiest way to determine (without actually pulling the cluster out of the dash) is to look at the screws on the face of the speedo. Phillips style heads have the plastic squeeze connector, slotted heads have the metal "tang" connector.

Jeff

Yeah I read a while back that the non-idiot light, tachless cluster is rare. Anybody wanna buy it?? LOL

I'm aware of the speedo cable thing and having two types of connections but that has nothing to do with the original question.... Still looking for responses to the tach issue.

Can it be adjusted and if so, how? Whats the exact mod to make it work right?

.... Still looking for responses to the tach issue.

Can it be adjusted and if so, how? Whats the exact mod to make it work right?

Yes the tach will be off......

Some of the tachs have pots in them for adjustment and some you have to find the right resistor.

Mine was off a couple hundred rpm's when I swapped it, but then I ended up swapping in a 4.0L......problem solved :yes:

Jeff

Well Eagle,

Seeing as how your the only one who seems to have a problem with answering questions maybe ya should just ignore peoples posts and move on rather than throw your two cents worth in! I noticed in a post that you wouldn't accept the fact that a guy did something that you didn't believe would work. well it seemed it DID work for him but rather than give him credit and be happy that he got the results he wanted you continued to shoot him down! That is pretty messed up.

This is a FORUM! Its about asking questions and everybody helping each other out.

Sure there will be repeated questions but that's just part of the territory. I'm sure I speak for a lot of guys on here when I say most of us either work, go to school, have family's etc... and do not have time to sit and scroll through post after post that go back months, if not years trying to find the answers we're looking for and sometimes its easier to just ask.

To everybody else, THANK YOU for the positive feedback you give on these posts. Even if it doesn't directly help with the current topic, the effort for trying is appreciated!

(Regardless of how often things are repeated!)

Hey, I'm not the guy who bumped his own thread because he didn't get an answer within six hours -- in the middle of the night. I am always willing to help, but sometimes people can help themselves, too. Most basic questions have been asked and answered numerous times, and instead of asking other people to do the searching, you could do some searching yourself.

First off, If you had a sense of humor you wouldn't have taken my post about no responses so seriously. Nobody else seemed to be bothered by it. and second, if everybody did their own searching and didn't ask questions WTF would be the point of this site???

you only piped up in this thread for no other reason but to try and prove someone wrong and to b*@$£ about people asking to many questions and from what I've read so far you make a habit of doing that.

Keep it to yourself cause nothing you have said had anything to do with this thread.

I don't drink and there is no such thing as "chill" here in Las Vegas! LOL

I agree though, having a pissing contest online is pointless but I just have a problem when somebody feels the need to make negative comments on something that should otherwise be positive.