D44 Pinion Seal Orientation

Going to replace the pinion yoke and leaking seal with the u-bolt style yoke, and just want to be sure on the seal placement. Is the correct orientation side A (with the stampings) to the outside or side B? This seal looks a bit different than the one on the axle now. Pretty sure it's side A to the outside. Am I correct?

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Okay - looked a little closer with a magnifying glass and the National seal has the spring on the lip; the Timkin seal doesn't. I'll use the National seal then. And the leaking seal on the pinion shaft has no spring either. :dunno:

Hello Don,

From my recollection you are correct, but I couldn't recognize side A as much as I remember side B in the pics. :ack:

Don,

I used the Timken seal, if it means anything after all the B.S. I went through (as you have) with seal leaks and bent axles, this was the last seal or anything else for that matter I had to replace on my Dana 44.

:banana:

]Don, I used the Timken seal, if it means anything after all the B.S. I went through (as you have) with seal leaks and bent axles, this was the last seal or anything else for that matter I had to replace on my Dana 44. :banana:

Joe, which pinion yoke are you using? The OEM one with the u-joint straps or the HD one that uses ubolts instead of the straps? The OEM yoke that came with the axle I bought had some slight grooves around the seal surface (that's why it's leaking I'm sure), so since I have to replace it I went with the stronger ubolt pinion yoke. AAARG. Should have done it the first time.

]Don, I used the Timken seal, if it means anything after all the B.S. I went through (as you have) with seal leaks and bent axles, this was the last seal or anything else for that matter I had to replace on my Dana 44. :banana:

Joe, which pinion yoke are you using? The OEM one with the u-joint straps or the HD one that uses ubolts instead of the straps? The OEM yoke that came with the axle I bought had some slight grooves around the seal surface (that's why it's leaking I'm sure), so since I have to replace it I went with the stronger ubolt pinion yoke. AAARG. Should have done it the first time.

Don,

You are correct, went with the HD that bolts as I had to replace the driveshaft as well when I went SYE on the front. Haven't had any issues since then, but this axle did cost me way more money than I wanted to pay. :ack: