shifter differences

The PO messed up the shifter some how and i was trying to fix it. I tried to unscrew the knob and the threads came with it. So i ordered another shifter from ebay and the part that sticks into the trans is longer. Will a cherokee shifter not interchange with a comanche shifter?

If the year is the same then they will. My 91 MJ has the same shifter (and tranny, AX-15) as a 93 Jeep Cherokee. However if you got the shifter from the Peugeot Tranny and have an AX-15... or vice versa, there will probably be an issue. What year comanche?

Pictures would help for comparison. I have 3 ax15 shifters and one Peugeot shifter and the ax15s are all the same but the Peugeot is longer and shaped differently.

You can buy a knob that tightens down to the shifter below the threads. There is also an adapter that raises the shifter tower from the tranny about 1/2". I have that adapter, brand new and don't need it. PM me if you are interested in the adapter or a shifter. I can post pics if you want.

That top one might be from an AX5 but not positive. The adapter I told you about is from Advance Adapters and adapts an AX5 shifter to an AX15 transmission. It fits between the top of the trans and the bottom of the tower, raising the tower and shifter up about 1/2". I'm at work so can't post pics right now.