Rat Rod Comanche ....

webbjeepxj

Anyone ever attempt a rate rod, or something non-standard?

I'm realizing that my ride is pretty rusty and I am replacing the bed, which will be white and my tailgate is gray/silver. I'm contemplating just doing an all mismatch theme. Just pulling various parts with no regard to color, cleaning them up and slapping them in. Of course it will be clean, but other than that it will be very uncoordinated. I feel like I need to be different and its a "to each his own" type of want.

So white bed, navy/cream cab, maroon bench seat, tan dash, with wood gauge bezel, blue glove box door, red passenger vent panel, etc. .......

I am in search for an ideas, and also a list of all possible interior colors, I'd like to hit every hue.

I know rat rods are matte black, but they do tend to have a mismatch theme.

Its been done... :yes:

I found this:

old_truck.jpg

Got it running, and turned it into this(and drove it for awhile):

22263_100151783355651_100000824882082_1180_7760051_n.jpg

n_a

But, its amazing what paint, some Canyons, and a little work will do to the same truck:

n_a

And after a 3" lift and some bars? Forget about it:

n_a

22263_100151786688984_100000824882082_1181_7857000_n.jpg

And the bumper sticker it wore the whole time:

n_a

I passed up a rusty '91 Eliminator that I wanted to rat-rod. It would be nice just to have a down and dirty MJ that I didn't care about the paint, or what it looked like. I would have liked to paint it flat black, stenciled on the old Elim letters on the bed, dropped it with some XJ shackles and 2.5L springs, and drove the wheels off of it.

Rob L.

I don't think "RAT ROD" is the right term here. A rat rod is something very specific, usually pre war, and HIGHLY customized, but with a junked out look, and use of odd and wierd parts. I don't really consider anything post war to qualify.... I just call them BEATERS. And a Comanche peiced together with different colored parts just sounds UGLY! Yeah its great that its being saved, but for the sake of being that way.... not for me. Ive had enough vehicles like that in my life, but they werent rat rods.... just junk. Id love to build a real RAT ROD, but I don't have the time or money to put into something like that to make it right. If I had the time and money, Id have one hell of a nicer Comanche right now, and maybe a rail dunebuggy, or a Porsche 550 Spyder replica, or a Chopped 50 Mercury, or a...........