Factory Radio Help Needed

I plan to replace my rear speakers with something that is capable of reproducing music.

I really don't want to replace my factory radio because to an old guy such as myself, the ones made today look like Dart Vadar's pacemaker and they don't really match a 25 year old truck.

Assuming I replace the speakers with something better, has anyone installed an external amp to a factory radio with good results?

Is there a difference between a 1987 wiring harness and a 1988 wiring harness for the radio?

to install an amp to a factory radio you need a line output converter. it takes the signals off the rear speakers and gives you RCA outputs that you can run to the amp. I have not done it to my vehicles but I have done it to quite a few others. the sound is OK the only thing is that you lack any control over the signal other then fade and balance from the radio.

There are amplifiers that can take speaker line in,

tho the ones I've seen/had were usually the off brand, questionable quality type.

A line converter + a quality amp is best

(unless you want to send the stock radio out to be modded for RCA outs, I'm sure it's $$$)

but just throwing it out there, depending on how high quality of sound you are looking for that there could be a simpler (tho maybe crappier) option.

The other thing is some factory stereo's came with factory inline Amps (our 96' ZJ did).

Tho I do not know if any of the single DIN radio's, like stock Comanche's ever had factory amps attached.

If you listen to radio stations I have a tip I've been meaning to make a writeup on hosting get better reception, but for now in the passenger kick panel there's the connection to the antenna that has a spring in it, remove the spring and connect the wires back together and tape them so they don't come loose