Brake Upgrade 2wd

I'm planning on runnng some JK Rubi takeoffs on my 88 2wd. 2 in leveling kit in the front, all new front end componets, and nice BFG all terrain tire to top the little project off.

Question now: JK rubi wheels are 17" wheels. I will have to run spacer adapters because of the different bolt pattern. What I am looking for from the guys who have run 17 in wheels on their XJ/MJ, is what they did for brake upgrades? Is there larger rotors and maybe different calipers that can be purchased for better braking with the larger wheel or is brand new oe parts good enough in your honest opinion? I do tow a small trailer from time to time with a ATV or axles and stuff. I do have a manual trans, which obviously helps with slowing the pickup down.

If youre serious about a 2wd brake upgrade, I would look into some 2wd WJ spindles, complete with the brakes, and the already correct bolt pattern. They have larger rotors, 2 piston calipers and are supposed to be much better than original. Then you could use adapters on the rear axle. I think if youre keeping the WJ bolt pattern, all you would need to do is swap the lower ball joint to a WJ style, and bolt it on, and adapt the brake lines. If you were going to change it to the original bolt patten, then bearings would need to be changed, and a spacer added, and either redrill the rotors, or add rotors from something else. But you won't need all that. The 17 inch aluminum JK wheels will clear the WJ brake calipers just fine. And swapping the WJ master cylinder and booster (or dual diaphragm XJ booster) would be good to do at the same time as well to be able to handle the WJ calipers. Good luck!

I just finished doing an oil change and TPS on one a few minutes ago. They shouldnt be that hard to find. Theres more of them out there than you know, as most of them from outwards appearances look just like the 4wd models. I think the biggest difference is in the unit bearings, either the bearings are different, or theres a stub shaft in there to keep it together which means it would be the same as the 4wd models. If you could get one from a 4wd, just get the CV axles too, and make your own stub shaft from the CV end... just cut it down... would work the same for your purposes.

I would do a couple things...

get a set of '95+ 2wd xj knuckles, spindles, and wheel bearings. this will allow you to use 4wd brake hardware (i.e. you don't have to even touch the bearings to do a brake job...).

then, I'd put in a dual diaphragm brake booster from '95 to '96 as it's bolt in.

I would do a couple things...

get a set of '95+ 2wd xj knuckles, spindles, and wheel bearings. this will allow you to use 4wd brake hardware (i.e. you don't have to even touch the bearings to do a brake job...).

then, I'd put in a dual diaphragm brake booster from '95 to '96 as it's bolt in.

I like this idea. I would be willing to bet I would have to order parts for 2wd at my auto parts store.