ax5 found one cheap .

Dr mac

I've located a ax5 ( I'am new to all this jeep jargon) complete with clutch flywheel etc no transfer case for 75.00

Guy says it's good from a wrecked commanche.

I have a 87 mj with 2.5 and 4 speed. .I'am wanting to do a diesel conversion on it in the future. Should I buy it up .

You will have to regear your axles if you want to be able to use 5th gear.

I don't see the point though if you plan to do an engine swap,you do know the ax5 used in the diesel trucks is different from a regular ax5 so it won't work if you want to use the XJ diesel. Which would be a waste of time anyway.

Can you get a TDI to bolt to the ax5? I don't think the ax5 would do you much good.

And I know people talk up the VW tdi but IMO I would not consider putting one in my truck. They rev like they have mud in the crankcase and they eat cams/lifters.

They are also an interference engine with a timing belt,which I don't like for something that's gonna be running through mud and water.they are also known for turbo failures

They make fairly impressive numbers but in real life a TDI car would be a good race with a 4cyl MJ.