dana 44 geared to 3.54 vs dana 35 geared to 4.10

i have found a matching dana 44 and dana 30 front geared to 3.54 for 600. however i can't tell the shape it is in. would that be a good buy for both front and rear matched gearing? and would that be a better choice for my manche vs a dana 35 geared lower? i am not sure of how all of this works. any help would be highly appreciated. thanks guys

What engine/trans & tires are you running/planning to run?

Condition is everything,

I picked up an XJ 44 cheap over the summer,

but it was rusted so badly the axle retainers came apart before they would let me remove the axleshafts. :doh:

The housing itself is fine, and the gears & shafts will probably be OK too,

but it is far from a 'bolt in',

since I will need to get new retainers, bearings, complete brakes, etc etc before it is runable.

The 4.10 geared 30/35 set has it's place,

I ran 3.73 geared 30/35 in a 4.0l 5spd, with 31's as a daily driver for years, and was happy,

but even with the 31's, I popped the spider gears once, and the ring gear another time.

If you are waiting for a matched set of 4.10 geared 30/44's, you are probably going to wait a long time,

then pay $$$ for it.

If the 4.10 geared 30 was available separately, that would be a good grab,

then sit on it til you could get a 4.10 rear (44, 8.8, etc).

yes they happen to be on ebay. the look pretty rusted though. I'm guesing thats why there still on there. i plan on runing my stock 4.0 with a 4.5 inch lift and probably 31-32 inch tires. not sure yet. just want my rig to run good on and offroad. mainly a trail/ hunting rig. and a daily driver.

yes they happen to be on ebay. the look pretty rusted though. I'm guesing thats why there still on there. i plan on runing my stock 4.0 with a 4.5 inch lift and probably 31-32 inch tires. not sure yet. just want my rig to run good on and offroad. mainly a trail/ hunting rig. and a daily driver.

You are caught squarely on the horns of a dilemma.

A Dana 35 rear axle is marginally adequate for running 31" tires, including moderate off-road duty, if you aren't a heavy-footed driver. I ran 31's on the Dana 35 in my '88 MJ for three or four years, before I lowered it back to stock height. 32s IMHO are pretty questionable. But ... for either 31s or 32, 4.10 gearing is a LOT better than 3.54.

For comparison, I ran the 31s with 3.73 gears, and the final speed-to-RPM was exactly the same as my wife's stock Cherokee with auto and 3.54 gears. So, although the Dana 44 rear axle is far superior to the Dana 35 in strength, the 3.54 ratio is going to be lousy for off-road. Marginal at best with the 31s, and not even marginal if you go with 32s.

:agree: As far as the price for the Ebay axles - way too much for those in that condition. And if you regear to 4.10 which you should with those tires, the D44 will require a new carrier too.