stepside conversion ideas?

my bed needs some help and i want to bob a little off the rear of my truck, ive got 3 options i can think of---

1: narrow stock comanche bed and graft on 80 something stepside fenders

2: 1980 something fullsize stepside bed narrowed to comanche width

3: mazda/toyota/s10/ranger stepside made to fit

leaning towards option 2 because those would be the easiest beds to find. no one made much for a stepside bed when it comes to smaller s10/ranger style trucks, newer beds look too modern. thinking a 1980 something bed and swap on a waggy header panel, paint the whole thing 2 tone, use the "jeep" centersection of my tailgate grafted onto the stepside gate...any ideas or opinions would be appreciated!!! pictures too!!!

Ive thought about this before too. I think that an early to mid 80's Ford F100 stepside would look best with its angular styling. Just search for a pic of one and youll see. But now that I think of it, the Chevy Luv pickup had a simillarly styles bed, and was smaller than the F100.... would take some research and time to do right, but might be worth it, and look better than that stupid ranger bed that keeps getting posted.

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18796

This guy's retro wrangler bed was your option #2. He does amazing work. I think he used reproduction bed parts then built a tailgate and fenders.

http://www.cj-8.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18796

He also has a Guacho step side bed truck thread which uses a rounded fender. In this one he sizes an 80's stepside bed to fit with custom tailgate and fenders.

His threads are addictive and very long so be warned. They are also full of detailed info that will be very helpful if you decide to build a custom truck bed.

I vote go for it as I think it would look great!

i saw the scrambler pickup, like the idea. and the f150 mid 1980s box is light as hell too cause the fenders are fiberglass. thought of using one of those, cutting the wheel openings to the same shape as the manche, and reusing the rear flares off of my bed. oh, and i hate the damn ranger bed everyone keeps posting lol. ive got a set of mid 80 something chevy stepside fenders. just need a box now, theres an old dodge fullsize up the road with an 8ft stepside bed, guy died a few years back, his kid takes care of the place, theyre trying to sell the land for a housing development, i might have to go leave a note saying i want the bed...swap the jeep lettering from my tailgate to that one, narrow it a foot, bob it a foot, perfect...