should I have a hose here?

Still finding my way aroound my 89 with a 4.0 5sp. I noticed there is a round rubber plug on top of the valve cover toward the rear of the engine. It seems to have a small hole in the center of the plug that would accept a vacuum tube. There is nothing there and I don't see any loose or plugged hoses. SHould there be a tube there for all engines? I do have cruise and pb if that helps. Truck seems to run ok.

I went out and looked. At what I would call the base of the throttle body, there is an oval piece about 2" long with two holes in it. One has a small vacuum line that goes to a gadget on the firewall. There is nothing in the other hole.....is that the port? I ask because about 6" ahead of the tb, on the intake manifold is a 2" section of rubber hose sticking straight up with a bolt stuck in it. I know the bolt aint factory because the head is maroon metallic.

Oh yeah, while searching, I found one of the two small rubber lines on the airbox off. That thing should really go if I get all the holes plugged!

I also noticed that the tube coming out of the forward cap in the valve cover that goes to the air box has a bracket that holds TWO hoses of the same diameter in parallel. I only have one hose.....is this a clue to the one plugged with a bolt....looks about right size.

Got that line switched out. That old rubber gromment was very funky...like it had half melted or something. Looking inside the valve cover there there was lots of grime there, which surprised me as the oil is so clean. ...I guess alot of dirt settled thru that small hole!

Got that line switched out. That old rubber gromment was very funky...like it had half melted or something. Looking inside the valve cover there there was lots of grime there, which surprised me as the oil is so clean. ...I guess alot of dirt settled thru that small hole!

the pcv in the valve cover usually gets pretty funky on these motors, might be time to pop off the cover and clean it out whenevr you've got some extra time on your hands.