t-case problem

so here's what's going on, lastnight I needed to run to the store and the roads were snow covered, pulled out if my drive way and started down the road, I pulled the shifter up into 4x4, nothing seemed funny, well when I was coming up to a stop sign a noise sounding like gears grinding. the sound only comes when slowing down. but the fronf shaft isn't engaging. in 4hi and 4lo it's the same as having it in 2wd. I take it something broke in the t-case. anyone got an extra t case laying around lol. but anyway should u be looking for another one or are they easy to teardown and replace parts? I have never had one apart or anything. what u guys think?

thanks for the link, now my truck is a 92 4.0h.o. whit has ax15 transs, and I don't have cad on the from axle. does the tcase have to come from another ax15 or would others work? isn't there different spline counts? next if the tcase has the vacume lines could I just plug them?

thanks for the link, now my truck is a 92 4.0h.o. whit has ax15 transs, and I don't have cad on the from axle. does the tcase have to come from another ax15 or would others work? isn't there different spline counts? next if the tcase has the vacume lines could I just plug them?

Yup

Nope, not unless you change the input gear if needed.

Yup 23 spline for your AX-15

yup

If you get another TC, even one with a 21 spline input they can be changed from 21 to 23 fairly easy.

I did it without ever having been inside a TC before.

If you find a TC with 23 splines, keep your old TC for the 23 spline gear in it.

(Keep it, sell it whatever, the gear)

before dropping the t-case, I would crawl underneath while someone is pulling the handle to make sure the linkage is all moving smoothly and nothing is binding or loose. might just need adjustment or new plastic bushings.