dana 44 axle seals

I am replacing the brake hardware and found the passenger side seal to be no good. My question is what do I need to do to remove the seal? I've done fronts before; shaft comes out, seals goes in, shaft goes in. The bearing needs to come off the rear shaft doesn't it?

Found this in my search:

And is the 44 a c-clip?

The MJ D44 is a semi float axle. This means no C-clips.

To do the seals you have one of two options.

1) press the bearings off and hope you do not hurt them. Then press them back on.

2) cut the bearings off, replace seal, and press on new bearings.

Personally, I would get new bearings. If the seals are leaking it is probably time for new bearings as well.

Ok. Can anyone give me a ballpark cost of having a machine shop press in new bearings and seals?

$15-$20 per shaft maybe. I'd try to find a friend with a press, it's a pretty easy job. Seems like I remember someone telling me they did it with a piece of tubing and a BFH. Heat the bearing and retainer a bit, cool the shaft a bit and it will go together fairly smoothly.

Sounds reasonable. But if it is an easy job, I may just save myself the trouble and have the shop do the axle when I bring it in to have the frame welded. Bout $60 in parts for 2 bearings and 2 seals and probably not more than 1 hour labor for a pro to do it all; $125-135 total or $100 and a lot of running around to do it myself. :hmm: