4x4 not engaging

My four wheel drive was working fine. I like to run it through 4hi and 4lo out on our property occasionally just to keep it all loose and limber. Now, its just not working. It wasn't put through anything strenuous since the last time it worked....no crazy trail or mudfest or anything. The transfer case does shift (noticeable gear reduction), the front drive shaft drives, but I'm not getting anything to the front tires. Has anybody had similar issues? All thoughts welcomed...Thanks :waving:

It was done as a way of getting better MPGs (which is doesn't) and reducing wear and tear on the front drivetrain (which it doesn't). Jeep dumped it altogether in the early 90s. So if you lock the CAD permanently, it simply makes it like all later model Jeeps that came with a one-piece axle shaft in there. :thumbsup:

Your CAD has failed. It's the only possibility if you know the T-case is engaging and you know the diff hasn't ground itself to dust.

Pop the vacuum motor off and take a look inside. If just the motor has crapped out on you, lock it over permanently. viewtopic.php?f=9&t=18415

Hey, thanks a lot. :bowdown: I'll give that a shot. Awesome step by step photos by the way. :cheers: