Headliner Madness! Custom headliner with fiberglass goodness

What are all the Carling switches going to control? Can you show how you're going to route the wiring? Just wondering because I just picked up a headliner board finally and I'm going to fiberglass the whole thing similar to how you did it. I may place some sort of overhead console on it with a few switches also.

Carling switches are going to control, on board air, winch, front and rear lights, bed lights. For now I ran all the wire and mocked it up. I took some late model Cherokee visors and had those covered as well and hooked the vanity lights up. It looks like it came from the factory this way, I couldn't be happier with the results and it was well worth the effort. If you're planning to do this just take your time and be exact as you can. Let me know what you all think :thumbsup:

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome work! I am planning something similar with my MJ but I had a few questions. Mainly, how did you go about attaching the overhead console to the foam/backing board? Any specific pointers you would give for someone who has never worked with fiberglass or undertook a process like this? Thanks a ton!

RockMJ

Thanks RockMJ! To attach the console I used a piece of thin flat aluminum. I think it was 1" by 1/8". Since I fiberglassed the headboard it is rigid enough to hold the weight of the console. I cut the aluminum to about 8 inches in length. the aluminum straddles the console on top of the headliner. There are a couple of screw holes on the inside of the sunglass door. I drilled these two opposing holes through the headboard and through the aluminum. Then put your proper length bolt and nut. Be careful not to overtighten, underneath the fiberglass is foam. I suppose I could have used washers in place of the aluminum strap, but I used the aluminum as a way to provide weight distribution across the headliner. It worked fantastic. There is one screw in the front of the console that goes into the sheet metal that the visors screw into. As far as tips go, this was my first time ever working with this stuff and the upholsterer asked if I would take side work, so take your time, be methodical and you can get good results. Here are main pointers. 1. Set up a big enough space to work in. 2. Work clean, you will get such better results. 3. Don't just goop on the fiberglass resin, it is very labor intensive to sand it down. 4. Use breather mask 5. Take your time, take your time, take your time 6. Be careful when drilling anywhere near the outer skin sheet metal. If your drill bit grabs it will take you right through, leaving a nice hole. 7. Run lots of wires if you want to add switches etc. I pulled off of the interior side lights to operate the dome light and vanity mirrors. 8. Have fun and have your headliner professionally done, especially if you're adding contour. Good Luck, I hope you're starting with a console in better shape than mine was. You can PM me if you need any assistance along the way. comanche.gif

Awesome! I am thinking of using a Chevy Silverado overhead console to put a set of 2 1/16" gauges up there as well as some switches. I am going to have to take my headliner out this week and take a look at the condition of it. Its not sagging at all and I'm surprised for being 24 years old

RockMJ

I had it covered in an OEM headliner material. I am not sure of the specific brand or color. I went slightly darker than original. Be careful as you can with your headliner. Don't take short cuts, remove all the trim pieces including the b-pillar trim around the seatbelts. I also applied resin on the top of the headliner as well to lock the headliner fibers as well. One thing I forgot to mention was to go over the headliner with some slightly rough sandpaper for better adhesion of the headliner glue. Good Luck! Can't wait to watch your project develop :cheers:

My headliner was substantially heavier than stock, however, with all the fiberglass and added resin it was very solid. I found that with the way the headliner is held in place, the weight was a non issue. I have had 0 issues with the added weight. I would venture my headliner with console was around 8 pounds. Did you find your console yet?

I did! I found one on eBay for like 30 bucks but I am going to try a salvage yard before paying triple for the same thing. Here is a picture of what I'm going for. Two gauges and a spot for switches

truckinterior0017au.jpg

RockMJ

I did! I found one on eBay for like 30 bucks but I am going to try a salvage yard before paying triple for the same thing. Here is a picture of what I'm going for. Two gauges and a spot for switches

truckinterior0017au.jpg

RockMJ

I have that exact same overhead, I got it at a JY for 10 bucks. I plan on putting a remote face plate for a stereo.

Yeah I hear you on the half finished projects. I'm hoping to tackle the interior this weekend and start cleaning things up for paint. I'm looking forward to seeing either of ours finished but either way I plan on doing a write up about it. I know ive said it before, but yours came out great and I hope mine looks half as good!

RockMJ