91 MJ 4wd not working

Never had this issue before with my other of my Jeeps. Since this thing has a front axle disconnect I immediately suspected the vacuum motor. So I took apart the whole thing and its all working perfectly, and there is good vacuum. I put the Jeep into part time 4wd, the light comes on the vacuum is present with no leaks but I am getting no power up front. I drove for hours in the snow in 4wd on Monday, then as I approached my snow covered driveway, turning right I heard a popping noise and ever since then no more 4wd. It goes into 4low as well but still no power to the front wheels not even in reverse. can't even use the Jeep, its horrible in the snow with such a light weight @$$. Any ideas?

Previous to this it did seem to pop in and out of 4wd, which I thought was just a vacuum leak, but the light always remained on until I put the lever into 2wd.

BTW its a 91' swb Pioneer 4wd, 5 speed.

The vacuum motor on my CAD passed all the FSM functional checks (held vacuum, smooth motion, etc) and it was still bad! The lack of 4WD had me baffled until I decide to conclusively eliminate that as a problem and pinned the shift fork in place. Apparently the vacuum motor functioned but was not strong enough to slide/hold the collar in place.

The vacuum motor on my CAD passed all the FSM functional checks (held vacuum, smooth motion, etc) and it was still bad! The lack of 4WD had me baffled until I decide to conclusively eliminate that as a problem and pinned the shift fork in place. Apparently the vacuum motor functioned but was not strong enough to slide/hold the collar in place.

That would explain how it felt like it was coming in and out of 4wd prior to this current issue. Ill have to look into that possibility as well.

Well it appears to be a vacuum leak or not enough vacuum after all. I used zip ties to tighten the connection yet still no 4wd. Then I opened up that little hole on top of the assembly I don't know if its for lubing or inspection, but I was able to slide a small screw driver inside and with a little push the fork moved over and the 4wd was once again working. I drove it like that for a while and it held but after I switched back to 2wd it once again would not go back to 4wd. I don't know what the heck to make of it.

well how about this. i constantly go extreme in mine and flex it allllllll the way out on a daily basis. everytime i do my vacuum hose comes off. i never put it back on and i can still shift from 4wheel to 2. so I'm guessing that when i first put it in 4wheel, the hose came off, so basicly moved the fork over in 4wheel and since my hose came off, its like i did that mod already?? has to be. makes no sense otherwise :nuts:

sorry to :hijack:

• 4 weeks later...

Well I finally figured it out. Took the whole thing apart again and noticed that the fork had a good amount of play, so I took it apart to add some washers or a bushing to take of the slack, to my surprise the fork was actually broken at the shaft, once the clips were out the whole thing fell apart. Called the dealer and he has none available but its not discontinued, and can be ordered, he said he never saw one of those break, usually its just vacuum issues. So now I need a new shift fork. Anyone have one to spare? Need ASAP, snow on the way.

You're not the first to experience a broken fork. :thumbsup:

but there's no need to even keep the fork. I know at least one member who used a hose clamp around the axle shaft to keep the collar over. said it's been that way for years. :wrench: