97 Blazer ABS

maddzz1

Slid on ice tonight and there appears to a problem with the abs on my 97 blazer, 4.3 auto

I can feel the pedal vibrating under my foot and it makes a strange noise. Everything seems to lock up. Pedal does not go to the floor, but gets rock hard. Any of you chevy techs got any ideas. No ABS light, tho I have read about alot of ABS complaints on these trucks.

I think so. I may be removing the fuse too, and only putting back in for inspections. I have read it may be the ABS sensor on the hub. They have to be removed, cleaned, and then a piece filed down before reinstalling. Something about air pulse readings or something like that.

yeah jim, proper procedure to fix GM ABS is 1. remove the 2 fuses (one underhood, one underdash) and if you can't stand to see the abs light on, 2. remove the gauge cluster and pull the bulb out. it's most likely the abs module... when they go bad it won't turn the light on, but will make trying to stop very fun... michelle's blazer needs one too, but i followed the above procedure and now everything is good again :rotf:

I can feel the pedal vibrating under my foot and it makes a strange noise. Everything seems to lock up. Pedal does not go to the floor, but gets rock hard. Any of you chevy techs got any ideas. No ABS light, tho I have read about alot of ABS complaints on these trucks.

This is exactly how my Dad's '98 Blazer reacts when the ABS kicks on. No problems with the ABS that we know of, just the way its always been.

simply put. s10/blazer abs sucks

Eh, it's actually not bad when compared to some of the ABS pumps/modules that came out in the late 80's and early 90's when it really began gaining popularity. The system on my '91 3000GT is laughably bad and much much worse than the Blazer and S-10. I've actually had the ABS kick on in my Dad's Blazer and I was able to steer the vehicle to safety so I can't give it too many complaints. The system in my '91 3000GT honestly is more dangerous than safe, even when it's working 100%.

simply put. s10/blazer abs sucks

Eh, it's actually not bad when compared to some of the ABS pumps/modules that came out in the late 80's and early 90's when it really began gaining popularity. The system on my '91 3000GT is laughably bad and much much worse than the Blazer and S-10. I've actually had the ABS kick on in my Dad's Blazer and I was able to steer the vehicle to safety so I can't give it too many complaints. The system in my '91 3000GT honestly is more dangerous than safe, even when it's working 100%.

it works okay but i find your always changing sensors or modules. it seems to break really easy.

This is exactly how my Dad's '98 Blazer reacts when the ABS kicks on. No problems with the ABS that we know of, just the way its always been.

I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying. This is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Everything locks up. You cannot steer or do anything which is even worse because it is doing this on icy roads. In 2 days I have went thru a red light and just missed hitting someone and my wife went thru a stop sign and only avoided an accident because the other car saw her and stopped.

I think your misunderstanding what I'm saying. This is EXTREMELY DANGEROUS. Everything locks up. You cannot steer or do anything which is even worse because it is doing this on icy roads. In 2 days I have went thru a red light and just missed hitting someone and my wife went thru a stop sign and only avoided an accident because the other car saw her and stopped.

Yea, then you've got a definite problem with your system, even if the ABS light is not on - maybe the bulb is bad? However, when the ABS system is not functioning, you normally won't have the ABS pump kick on when you try to brake, and with the vibration in the pedal and the weird sound you described, the ABS pump definitely sounds like it's coming on. The wheels should never lock up. It's an anti-lock braking system, after all...

Its called taking your foot off the brake pedal, pumping it back and forth and steering the car where you need it to go.

Thats why they put ABS on cars because people would freak out and just lock the tires up and wreck all the time, when its as simple as taking your foot off the brake and you can steer again. :doh:

The above is from one of my knothead son's who was poking around while I was busy. :doh:

Its called taking your foot off the brake pedal, pumping it back and forth and steering the car where you need it to go.

Thats why they put ABS on cars because people would freak out and just lock the tires up and wreck all the time, when its as simple as taking your foot off the brake and you can steer again. :doh:

The above is from one of my knothead son's who was poking around while I was busy. :doh:

I hope so. I was gonna say, maybe you need to call chevy and tell them they released a tsb for no reason.