Brake pedal squeak?

So I recently did the WJ brake booster upgrade which works awesome!

But now I have this really annoying squeak that is coming from the pedal area under the dash. It'll squeak when you step on the brakes with a good amount of force and kind whine as you hold it there. -Quite embarrassing when driving other people. If you only step on the brakes a little to slowly come to a stop, it's silent. If you really stomp on the brakes it'll squeak as you go past that point and then be quiet.

I lubed up the pivot point between the rod and pedal but it didn't fix the squeak. I also tried spraying WD-40 inside the booster boot but that didn't work either. You guys think it's coming from the booster diaphragm(s) and I just got a bad one? I really hope not.

How about the push rod rubbing on the edge of the hole in the firewall? Try removing the return spring, make moving the brake pedal easier, and then stick your head under the dash whiling moving the pedal.

Return spring? Isn't that internal?

Try tightening the four booster bolts. Mine sounded like it had a loud vacuum leak after I did the swap, not exactly a squeak but almost. I tightened the booster to the firewall and that took care of it.

Ok I'll give that a shot. Thanks.

I found the problem but I don't know why it's doing what it's doing.

What's happening is that when you step on the brake pedal with a little force and then mash it real quick the booster honks just like a goose!

What seems to be going on is that the two halves of the booster are separating a little bit when you apply the extra force. You can see the master cylinder get pushed out. I'm not sure if it's the two metal halves of the booster sliding by each other causing the noise or if it's the rubber diaphragm vibrating. The two halves are not supposed to move are they?? A couple tack welds should solve the problem right?

Nope, sorry I disagree. Staking or tack welding may or may not repair the booster leak but I'd never try. Just replace it, won't break the bank. Never cheap out on your brakes mate. :cheers:

:agree: TRUE. Just got caught up in the 'Fix it" frenzy. Didn't mention anything about Duct Tape tho.

So I got the replacement booster in and the brakes are silent! And I got the brake lights to be very sensitive :thumbsup: They come on with the slightest touch of the pedal. :D

I really hope I don't have to do that again any time soon. :thwak: You seriously have to be a freakin contortionist to work on anything under the dash like that.