All lights dim when brakes are applied...

I have the same problem, and right now I blame the alternator. When I first got it, it was REAL bad, and the lights would dim to ~50% at idle with the brakes on, and brighten back up to say 80% when the brake was off. Above idle the lights would be fine, but if I tapped the brake, they would dim a bit.

I swapped in a USED alternator I had lying around, and it greatly helped the problem! However, the lights do still dim a bit at idle with the brakes on.

I have a 105A alternator in known good condition sitting in my garage. I will try to swap it soon and post up with results.

I want to note that I have gone through and checked/cleaned a bunch of grounds and power connections, ran new battery cables, new clamps, Optima red top, extra ground straps, etc... etc... so I'm pretty sure the rest of the system is in tact. It was a nightmare when I got it though!

A short in the brake circuit wiring, Either in the switch, the light sockets or the wiring. If the alternator was weak the battery would carry the load. Until it died. Weak alternators won't keep a battery charged. If it has a trailer connector would be the first place I'd look.

• 1 year later...