96 ho wont start in a 88 mj

i put a 96 ho 4.0 in my 88 mj. had a 4.0 to begin with but was 2wd so i swapped it. won't run, have fuel and i believe the timing is set right. ive checked it and it seems ok. can't get it to fire, it turns over but just won't fire. i have the 88 flywheel and cps. do i need a 88 tps?

Coil is still good I assume? Fuel pump relay is plugged in? Have pressure to the rail? When you installed the distributor did you time it by putting cylinder 1 at top dead center on compression stroke and then putting the oil pump drive at 11 o'clock and then dropping the distributor in there with the rotor pointed at cylinder 1 "fire" position? You would have to put it in 30 thousands retarded of cylinder 1 "fire" because of the shape of the gears and then it would fall into the proper position. You can be a little off on distributor timing to have it run but not too far off. Check to see if your distributor is timed correctly before proceeding. If you set it at top dead center cylinder 1 exhaust stroke you wouldn't have a running engine.

Wait wait wait.

There is NO difference between 4wd and 2wd motors. None.

You do have the 88's distributor in the 96 motor, right? Won't run with the 96 dizzy.

:rotf: Can almost "hear" your tone of voice here even tho I never met ya.

Wait wait wait.

There is NO difference between 4wd and 2wd motors. None.

You do have the 88's distributor in the 96 motor, right? Won't run with the 96 dizzy.

+1 I feel the chill in the room too but I don't know who you're even speaking with!? Did anyone mention there being a difference between the 4wd and 2wd motors?

i put a 96 ho 4.0 in my 88 mj. had a 4.0 to begin with but was 2wd so i swapped it. won't run, have fuel and i believe the timing is set right. ive checked it and it seems ok. can't get it to fire, it turns over but just won't fire. i have the 88 flywheel and cps. do i need a 88 tps?

This implies that you changed motors because your original was a 2wd one.

There could actually be two problems there.

This is assuming the timing mark is in the correct place and the outer piece of the balancer hasn't shifted.

As 91coMANche stated, you could have been on the exhaust stroke. That would put your timing 180 off.

Also, even if you were TDC on the compression stroke, did you put the rotor pointing directly at the #1 post? If you did... that could be the problem. The rotor should be pointing just past #1 at TDC.

whats the best way to find tdc? and i think i have the distributor in the proper place. I'm checkin timing and spark tonight

I initially set my Renix 2.5 to the timing mark also, and had it 180 off. So, unhook coil to dist wire just in case. Take spark plug out of #1 cyl. Put finger over plug hole and have someone do short bursts of turning it over until air from #1 tries to blow your finger off the hole. I then turned my crank pulley to get the timing mark at 10 degrees before top dead center, and turned the oil pump until I had the rotor dead center at #1 on dist cap. Before this wouldn't even try to start. After, fired right up!

whats the best way to find tdc? and i think i have the distributor in the proper place. I'm checkin timing and spark tonight

Obviously unplug the battery and remove the coil wire. Pull plug 1. Turn engine over by hand with your finger in the spark plug hole. You will fell it when you hit compression stroke on 1. Then line up the pointer on the harmonic balancer on 0. Now, take a look under your cap and see where your rotor is currently sitting. It should be pointing in the general area of 7 o'clock. I suspect you're 180 degrees off. If you're off then follow the instructions I previously posted here.